layout

11/19/2008

Finally feeling the gratitude

All month I've been reading everyone's blogs and a lot of you seem to have a "thankful theme" going on. It's been so fun to read them, but I have to admit that this month I've been kind of a grinch. I just don't feel like me. Does that ever happen to you? I'm behind on everything, I can't keep anything straight and like I mentioned before -- a complete lack of motivation.

So instead of gratitude, I've been feeling stress. Although in my defense I have told my husband every night how grateful I am that he has helped out so much and put up with all my craziness lately.

OK, so enough of the whole boo hoo poor me moment because you are all going to hate me in a minute. Last night Dustin forwards me an e-mail and tells me to skip to paragraph 3 if I don't want to read the whole thing. So I read paragraph 3 and I can't figure out what he's all excited about. Apparently he's gotten some award at work and also, he can't count paragraphs because he really meant for me to read paragraph 4 where it tells him that he and guest will spend a five-day, four-night stay at The Hilton Los Cabos Resort in Los Cabos, Mexico, A vacation???

Isn't it funny how something to look forward to can just turn your whole attitude around? It was suddenly like "What stress? In a few months I'll be on the beach in Mexico!!! Without my kids!" Not that I don't love my kids and I'm not grateful for them, but Dustin and I haven't been on a vacation away from them since our anniversary when Ellie was 3 months old. ** edited ** Mer just reminded me of when we went away for our anniversary when Nate was about 10 months old. I am a LIAR! I was on a girls trip when Dustin flew up to surprise me, so I don't think that should really count as I was going to be away from the children anyway and it was Dustin who got out of his fatherly duties. Also big thanks to Molly and Gina who took our kids for a few nights when they were TINY! And Kerry and Michelle who kept the surprise!

ANYWAY in February, just picture me here:

25 comments:

Meredith said...

Has it seriously been that long? What about when he stole you away from your scrapbook weekend? I guess that hardly counts. Steve and I try to do it at least once a year, if only for a night. How cool for Dustin to win that...Steve doesn't get stuff like that.

Kathleen said...

maddy i feel like this post has a bad moral to the story... i still love you!!

The Tyler's said...

You're right...we all hate you.

Lara Neves said...

I'm laughing at your sister's comment...and maybe I kind of agree. So I should be rewarded with an awesome trip to Mexico when I am having an off week?

Just kidding, obviously, you need it. You will be back on your game in no time at all! Congratulations!

Chelsea said...

Is it bad of me if I just write YOU BIG BIG JERK! and that's it for my comment? Seriously...you one lucky girl!! (And big congrats to Dustin!) But no really, wow. I am very very green my friend! Too bad my down in the dumps days won't end with a nice vacay.

And about my cake...I said NO laughing! :) And the batman cave is a hit. They LOVE it. There is a spiderman set thing that my MIL got them that has little super hero guys that go in it too. It has been amazing fun boy times here.

Danika said...

I'm totally coveting right now! We have been trying to get to Mexico for 3 years now, but somehow always end up in cold places (New York in March and Seattle in March) for our getaways. I made Kevin promise he'd take me somewhere warm and tropical before he switched jobs....

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! I know exactly what you mean about vacations turning your whole mood around. That's why I do everything I can to score hotel points and air miles. When one vacation is done, I start planning for the next. It's harder with little ones, but it gets more fun as they grow.

But you are going on a grown-ups only vacation and that is even better ;). Los Cabos is fun. Isn't Feb. whale season?

Rogers said...

Vacation? now that is something to be grateful for. How fun! John just gets called a lot of choice names. No vacations to mexico in our future! Have a great time!

Brenda Janda said...

Congrats Maddie, and big Congrats to Dustin. you guys deserve it. Have a blast.

Cecily said...

No way you lucky duck! I need to just come stand next to you for a little while so some of that luck will rub off on me. Happy for YOU anyway!!!

lynette said...

you really are spoiled rotten! congrats on the trip!

Amber said...

Vacation without kids, what's that? LOL....We have not been away from our rugrats yet and Jake will be 7 soon, so it has been way too long!

You guys deserve it! I am so feeling the craziness of having three little ones running around! I am so jealous right now!

Congrats on the trip! Have a fabulous time!

Molly said...

How fun!!! Yah, the scrapbook weekend doesn't really count, doesn't was sweet for doing that though! What a fun award, Andy's awards usually consist of a couple hundred dollar bonus or gift cards or something. I would love to help you with the kids if you need help, I'm sure anyone would be willing to help you out. We try to do it once a year too, it's important to get away without your kids. I can't wait for you to go!

Unknown said...

Oh, I could so use a vacation get-a-way with Brett right now (but not to the Snow Fire Inn). I was very much thinking this as I scrubbed red crayon (a red crayon that got stuck in the dryer) out of a load of laundry at midnight last night! But I can not think of a more deserving person than you, Maddy. You give a lot to others all the time ;D

Lisa Brown said...

Yea for you!!! I completely understand what you mean. And how awesome that his work is sending you on the getaway :). And I agree, having something to look forward to really helps.

Kaelene said...

Wow, that is a GREAT way to turn a frown upside down!! I'm glad that you have something, besides the "Twilight" premier, to look forward to!

Rach said...

I'm so jealous!! When you're on the beach relaxing, think of me. I'll probably be driving through a snow storm here.

Sara said...

Congratsto Dustin and to you! What a great surprise.

Anonymous said...

I don't even want to leave a comment. Ok, I'll be happy for you and dream of my own vacation.

Sarah said...

You aren't allowed to start putting up Christmas stuff till after Thanksgiving!

Lisa said...

that is so cool. i love cabo!! i had the best food there ever!! you will have so much fun. and happy hour starts at 7 a.m. LOL

Meredith said...

Ha ha - I gave you an award on my blog.

Larson's said...

That is so COOL! Maybe this will help you get through your next week. LOL! And here I was feeling sorry for you! Just kidding. Tell Dustin Congrats and could he get Jeff a job?

Unknown said...

Oh- that's awesome! Sean and I had a blast when we went to Cabo a few years ago- without the kids! Take a boat dinner cruise- super fun, and really cool to see the arch and the sunset!

Oh- and check with your cell phone company in advance to make sure you can get service there. They usually just have to "flip a switch" to make it work, but you have to do it in advance. We didn't get service the whole time we were there, so calling home was expensive... ;)

Congrats to Dustin on his award!!

laura said...

yeah - pretty much have to hate you for this one! ;)

congrats - you'll have so much fun! yay!!