layout

11/02/2008

And then there was Halloween

Despite all the birthday celebrations, we managed to squeeze a few Halloween festivities in this weekend.

Thursday night we carved pumpkins at our neighbors. And by "we" I mean "the dads." The children had much more fun playing with each other. In Ellie's defense, she did help scoop the pumpkin guts out. Then we let the kids take the credit for the pumpkins. Ours is the scarecrow in the middle. See it?? Right behind Ellie's head. Oh wait, you mean Ellie's head is blocking our pumpkin?? Nate wanted a spooky one.

Friday we had "screaming" good time at Shauna's. And I do mean screaming. For some reason the kids were on one, but we still managed to squeak a good 2 hours out of them and play some games. They were possibly cranky because it was still 95 degrees on Halloween.

That night I took some really horrible pictures of the children in their Halloween costumes as they were in a hurry to get down the street to the block party. Only Ellie had any Halloween spirit at the time. We cooked hot dogs and hamburgers -- which only Sadie ate. I feel the need to captue this rare shot of Sadie actually eating. And some of the cutie pie kids. Then we split up and started trick-or-treating. Good thing we split up or else the mob at people's houses could have been scarier than this. After we were Becky and I took a few of the girls, and Nate to all the Haunted Houses in the neighborhoods. Nate LOVED them, but Ellie cried the entire time. See how she looks all brave in this picture? Well she cried the entire time through the Martin's Haunted House even though Bobby personally walked her through it and showed her where all the scary things were.

Saturday Dustin did a triathalon, I kept crazy busy -- big shout out to everyone who watched my kids for me all day -- and then we got all dressed up for the Tyler's smokin' Hollywood Halloween party. Dustin was "Joe." Average Joe, Joe six pack and Joe the Plumber all rolled into one and I had WAY too much fun as Sarah Palin. I may start speaking like her on a regular basis. There was another Palin there, but I just called her Tina Fey all night.

I didn't even think to take a picture of our costumes until we were home and Dustin was off taking the babysitter back to her house. I'll have to see if I can steal some from other people's blogs, but for now here is my awesome self portrait.

14 comments:

Meredith said...

Lookin' great!! Is that MY suit coat? Glad it worked for ya!

We should have crashed the Elgin St. party. Our party was fun too but I would have loved to be with you guys too!

Rach said...

Love you as Palin!!

Kerry said...

Hahaha! I LOVE your costume!!! That is awesome!!!

Hey, Matthew saw me reading your blog earlier and said, "I USED TO HAVE THAT SHIRT THAT BOY IS WEARING!"

I couldn't tell him that was his! But oh my gosh, I loooooove seeing it again!

Maddy said...

Mer -- yep, it's yours. I have your entire suit wardrobe to return to you now :D Luckily I'm afternoons this week.

Kerry -- Did you notice Ellie's dress? I think it used to be Megan's. And Nate LOVES that Thomas sweatshirt. He wore it this summer until it was bitterly hot and at the slightest hint of cool down this week, he's been wearing it all the time. poor Matthew :( We'll never tell!

Lara Neves said...

Looks like fun times!

Love the Palin costume...and I love even more that you cut bangs just for it! :)

Sara said...

You make a great Sarah Palin!

It looks like you had a fun Halloween. I love Halloween. Your kids look darling.

Kaelene said...

I love that you took a photo of Sadie eating, but she doesn't look too excited about it!
I love all the Jack-o-Lanterns . . . too much fun!

Lisa Brown said...

You looked great! it sounds like you had some awesome Halloween adventures :).

PS. When I first married Kevin, he knew how to sew and I didn't even know how to work the sewing machine - pretty embarrassing, but his mom taught me about 5 years ago. That said, I would never be adventurous enough to do what he does :).

Molly said...

Love the Sarah Palin look! I totally want to see a picture of Dustin too. All the kids look super cute, sounds like you had a fun block party!

Anita said...

Love you as Palin! I couldn't stop laughing reading that Dustin was "Joe" too! You guys are hilarious. 95 degrees on Halloween??? That is just WRONG!

Jamie said...

You were Sarah Palin? Bwahahahahahaha. Love it!

That picture of Sadie is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. She certainly has the pout down. :)

Amy F. said...

That was a fun Halloween! You and Dustin rocked, by the way, on your costumes -and you played it up good! (I will definitely send/post pictures).

Kerry said...

LOL! Yep I went back to look! I remember that dress too! You have no idea how happy that makes me! It reminds me that my kids were once that much more little. Even though YOURS are growing so fast!!!

Rickie said...

I have been dying to hear how the party went. Your costume was so awesome!! The bangs totally made it!! By, the way, I actually like Sadie's cheerleading costume. You switched it from the party. But, she looks super cute. Gotta love that girl. Well, all your kids are adorable. Maybe you should think about having one more.