layout

2/19/2009

I think I'm Paranoid

No, this post is not about my Rock Band awesomeness, although I do love the vocals and this is one of my favorite songs to sing because I actually know it. . . but I digress.

I am a total worry wart it's a genetic thing inherited from my Grandma. Just ask Dustin. I can take a normal little problem and turn it into a complete night's worth of angst. And the worst part is, once I start. . . I cannot stop. I just think of more outrageous things to freak out about. I literally have the most illogical thoughts some times. I try to keep it under control most of the time, but some days are just hopeless.

Case in point: About 2 weeks ago I was coming home from the park with the kids when the FedEx guy pulls up. My first thought? Hurry and close the garage door because he's probably going to forcibly take my keys and break into the house. Instead because I realize that while possible, the chances of this are slim, I kept getting out of the car. I've got Sadie on my hip, my purse, the bag full of sand stuff from the park, a bag full of snacks and water from the park and the lunch I picked up on the way home from the park and the FedEx man is approaching. Don't freak out don't freak out. Instead of knifing me he says, "This box is pretty heavy, do you want me to just set it somewhere?" I point to the closest corner of the garage and say thanks. What a nice guy. Sorry I thought you were going to mug me.

I then completely forget about the package until really late that night when Dustin comes in with the box open, "Do you know what's in here?" Oh my gosh, I have no idea what's in there. My mind immediately jumps to who knows where. Poison? Dead animals? Body parts? "Get it out of here! I don't want whatever it is in the house" I'm hoping it was just the late hour that was making me so irrational because it was just the PS3. Like I was going to guess that? Why would Dustin even ask me if I knew what was in there unless he was trying to rile me up on purpose?

So the next day I'm telling my sister the story and we're laughing at how insane I am sometimes when she tells me her story. My Aunt Kristine ordered her birthday present from China, so when a package arrived from China, Kathleen was pretty sure there was anthrax in it and didn't want to open it either. See? Totally genetic!

This did not help when I kept reading all these horrible things about kidnappings and murders in Mexico right before our trip. The taxi driver talking over his walkie talkie thing? Pretty sure he was planning our kidnapping and ransom. I didn't even want to leave the resort if I didn't have to, but I knew I was being totally irrational and ventured out for Dustin.

And we survived, but once we got home, Dustin kept making fun of me. So I started sending him articles about how dangerous Mexico is. Well guess what tidbit of information he comes home with one night?? Phoenix is the kidnapping capital of America. Second in the WORLD right after Mexico City. Just google it. It's true! So we totally have to move now.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well then. I consider myself pretty darn lucky that you forced yourself to venture out beyond the castle walls of The Hilton in Cabo! (shhh...don't tell but I was TOTALLY paranoid about the taxi thing too.) John just kept telling me to "check the crazy" and it made for a nice trip.

Lara Neves said...

Wow Maddy. I think you may need a therapist. :)

I'm very happy the FedEx man did not kill you. And boy am I glad I got out of Phoenix when I did. Phewsh.

Chelsea said...

You are hilarious!
Cody and I watched a dateline-ish show last week about Phx and it's kidnapping issues. Just know that there is lots of room here in Wa for you :)
Expect your email by tomorrow :) I have a serious tornadoed house that I am working on.

Danika said...

Your post title cracks me up. I THINK you're right...I THINK you're paranoid. Trust me...it takes one to know one! I'm totally the same way. Mine's not genetic, mine's from growing up in SoCal (and apparently now livin' in the hood).

I'm a tiny bit worried about going to Mexico. But thankfully Kevin speaks Spanish. Hopefully we'll be able to fool the taxi drivers and clue in before they kidnap us! :)

Rach said...

Wow, good thing we don't live in Phoenix =). If you are moving, I suggest Colorado!

Meredith said...

Chill out girl.

Kathleen said...

BHAHAHA. it is totally genetic. mom and dad did something to us and somehow tommy didn't get any of it.

buuut... BODY PARTS??? ew.

Molly said...

That is so funny, I totally have irrational fears like that. I think we've talked about this before. I could go on and on about all of my fears, they are all lame. Mostly, if I go on vacation, I alwasy think we'll come home and my house will be burned to the ground. You know, as if no one in my neighborhood would have called me to let me know, right?

Anyway, I'm totally freaked out about that kidnapping statistic, dang...

Maddy said...

I would see a therapist, but I'm pretty sure the fact that I'm slightly unstable is one of my more endearing qualities.

Molly -- I just remembered your fear of blue cheese dressing.

Sara said...

You can always move to the mellow Midwest. It's pretty awesome out here.

Anonymous said...

Am I being paranoid or are you saying that I am responsible for this problem you have with obsessing? I'm not going to be able to sleep tonite wondering how I could have save you from this fate. There is nothing wrong with a little over thinking! Love you!

Anonymous said...

uh, once you hit 18 you own your own pink slip, so don't blame your loving, lovely parents, whoever they may be!

Mike and Kimmy said...

I totally do the same thing. The post was hilarious! I loved it. I totally think of one crazy thing that spirals into a whole series of crazy events.

AZ Hey-mon said...

And this is why we LOVE you!

Kat said...

Crazy! (the kidnapping bit that is). You... a little on the paranoid side :) I'm still sad I'm moving, even if I live in Kidnapping central. I seriously wanted to cry today, talking about any goodbye get together. I'm such a baby and so not ready to leave my house and friends

Kerry said...

Move to Kentucky!! hint hint....

I thought I was a worrier! Holy cow, you have me beat! LOL! But I still love you.

Anonymous said...

Then what would you do if anonymous people started commenting on your blog?

Kaelene said...

By the way, my pregnant little friend . . . feelings of paranoia are OFTEN a result of increased hormonal activity! Did you know that?? You may be paranoid, but that doesn't make you crazy! Blame it on the current physical condition of your body! ♥

Holly said...

HA! You are so funny! If you really want to move...you could be our neighbor:o) And HATE yourself cuz you moved to the freezing cold! Maybe the snowmen would come to life, snatch you up, and turn you into a HUGE snowball, where you would freeze and DIE:o) you make me laugh!

Lisa Brown said...

He he! YOu and my sister Holly would make a great pair. She used to sleep with a knife under her mattress and her bedroom door locked, just in case somebody snuck into our house, went past EVERYONE elses bedrooms, and decided to murder her :). Oh, Savannah is pretty bad too - one of the highest crime rates in the country.