layout

2/15/2009

We loved, we laughed, we lived

I guess the good thing about uber late church is that I can always find time to blog on Sundays. So here goes the Valentine's wrap up.

Wednesday Nate had his preschool party. Last year I bought Nate Spiderman Valentine's on sale, but guess who decided he HAD to have Transformer Valentine's instead?? Maybe he'll want the Spiderman ones next year. He carried that bag of Valentine's everywhere for at least a week and insisted on showing all of our neighbors. At the end of school, they put on a little song for us and gave all their moms carnations. Plus they had decorated sugar cookies, so I think I ate half of Nate's cookies before we even got home. They were delicious.

Friday Molly threw a party for all of our friends and their kids which meant something like crafts and cookies for 20 kids. She is much awesomer than I, that's for sure.Sadie decided to use a sucker to spread her frosting. Every year I hand make one kids' Valentine's, just so I fill my "crafty fix" and remind myself how much work stuff like that is so hopefully I'll remember not to try to hand make my Christmas cards this year, and this year it was Sadie's turn. I opted for the super easy and fast Flower-Pencil-Valentine which turned out super cute thanks to the Target Dollar Spot.

I then ditched my kids with friends and ran off to host Ellie's class party. There must have been something in the air that day because about half the boys were being the biggest stinkers. I came home and told my girlfriend that anytime you're starting to be cranky with your own kids, you just need to go spend some time with other people's kids and suddenly you like yours a whole lot better. Oh well, I do it so Ellie has a great time, not me. For her smile I'd put up with a hundred stinky boys! I mean, I'm contributing two of them to the world after all.

That night Dustin and I went to play games with friends where we played a very controversial yet holiday appropriate version of The Newlywed Game. All you need to know is that Dustin and I totally won -- and that is why we are such an example of the perfect marriage ;p. And women are masters of Mad Gab because we spend half our life discerning the ramblings of toddlers.

Saturday we decided to play it low key and hang out with the kids since we had celebrated way too much in Cabo. Dustin got Valentine's doughnuts for everyone for breakfast and then we handed out our Valentine's. Instead of buying for each other, Dustin buys for the girls and I buy for Nate. Nothing huge since we don't want to raise them to have completely outlandish expectations from heir significant others in the future -- just a fun card and chocolates, but the kids really love it. And of course we had home-made heart shaped pizza for dinner and chocolate molten lava cake for dessert so sad the kids didn't like theirs so we had to eat double.

The best part of the day was when Dustin came home from Costco with a memory foam topper for our bed. Apparently he was sick of hearing me moan and complain every morning about how old I am and how bad my hips hurt from sleeping on my side all night. I wanted to go to bed right then, but I guess 4 pm is not an appropriate bedtime even if you use the "But I'm pregnant" excuse. Especially if you just woke up from a 2 hour nap. Of course I can barely climb into our bed now since we already had an extra pillow top thing and an extra stuffed mattress cover. This morning Sadie came in to wake me up and I could only see the little top of her head.

Seriously -- the best night sleep ever!!! I had this dream where I was drinking a glass of water and sucking on the ice, but water kept oozing out of the sides of my mouth. So I spit the ice out, but water was still coming out of my mouth. I then woke up to find myself sleeping in a puddle of my own drool.

I decided next year I'm going to buy some of those cheapy kid's themed Valentine's and hand them out to my friends because why should the kids have all the fun? I forgot my other Valentine success -- I taught Ellie how to change Sadie's wet diapers. Hooray for outsourcing.

12 comments:

Danika said...

Brandon better NOT have been one of those "stinker" boys at the class party...

Lara Neves said...

What a great insight. So, since it's probably been since before I had kids since I played Mad Gab, maybe I'm better at it now?

Hooray for Ellie changing diapers. Does she do it willingly? Bria flat out refuses.

Brenda Janda said...

You crack me up!

Rach said...

I don't know where to start - the stinky boys (have three of them), the Mad Gab comment(totally going to drag that game out today), the puddle of drool, or Ellie changing Sadie's diaper (wow). Today I am going to play Mad Gab and try to get my oldest to change a diaper!

Amber said...

You funny girl! You make me laugh so hard!

Kathleen said...

i can never have children because yours are so adorable.

i wish luke were a girl so stop referencing his boy-ness.

sadie spreading frosting with a sucker bahahahahaha.

the boys were probably stinkers because they have a crush on you.

what kind of face is nate making.

thank you for adding pictures. i need some of you drooling and ellie changing diapers.

the end.

ps. kudos on the stinkin cute valentine for the sadster

Anonymous said...

keep those pictures of the kids coming! ellie DOES have the world's best smile, nate and sadie are the cutest EVER. lucky, lucky you!

Anonymous said...

ah those pics are adorable! i miss them so much! what will i do without my grandkids?!

love you all!

Unknown said...

Love the homemade Valentine's. Also, I love your comment about other people's kids. If you can recall, Brett feels pretty much the same way. He is very good at expressing that ;D

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! That's awesome.

Kat said...

That's awesome! Way to teach Ellie how to change Sadie's diapers! Hahaha. Glad you had a good vday! BTW, I would have wanted to go to bed right then too :)

Kat said...

That's awesome! Way to teach Ellie how to change Sadie's diapers! Hahaha. Glad you had a good vday! BTW, I would have wanted to go to bed right then too :)

Lisa Brown said...

What a great Valentine's Day! And we LOVE our memory foam topper. I have one of the pillows too - so nice :). And I really want the recipe for that choclate molten lava cake - yum!!