layout

2/12/2009

Mexico -- FINALLY!

I admit to being a total slacker about blogging our trip. Part of the problem was coming home and having to jump right back into school, laundry, cleaning, Valentine's parties, getting Ellie's cast off WOO HOO but also partly because I don't really know what to say. I hate giving out all the details because there were parts of the trip that were totally over the top, but my sister insists that vacation blogs are supposed to be braggy. We were seriously spoiled rotten and you're probably going to hate me at some point. In fact, I kind of hate myself but I know how hard Dustin worked and he totally deserved every second of it. Me, on the other hand = free loaderWednesday while waiting in line to clear immigration, I had to go pee a common theme on this trip where I was immediately reminded that we were in fact in Mexico as I stared up at the sign asking me to please put my toilet paper in the trash and not flush it down the toilet. Oh Mexico, thank heavens the Hilton Resort has better plumbing. I should also add that increased peeing is not the only side effect of pregnancy affecting the trip -- I have awful motion sickness and barely made it through the landing.

We were lucky enough to be in a van with the only other Business ByDesign people on the trip so it was nice to start the trip knowing we had some friends along. As soon as we got to the Resort, I needed to eat. As we were looking out at the water we saw a whale just splashing around. We were in total awe until about the 3rd day when we realized we would see whales just about anytime we looked out at the ocean. I also learned that I would never need to place another napkin in my lap, pull out a chair or pour a drink of water for myself either.

The second thing I did in Cabo, after eating, was take a nap. I know -- you're starting to realize that maybe I'm not the most fun to take on vacation while I'm pregnant. But hey, it was my vacation! When we got to our room we had a little goodie bag from Land's End who runs SAP: a beach bag full of beach towels, sun screen etc. That night SAP through a cocktail reception where I ate way too many fried appetizers and then we went for a walk on the beach before heading in and sitting in bed and finishing These is My Words. I loved it BTW!

Thursday included:
Sleeping in
Breakfast in Bed
Dustin went zip lining and repelling while I enjoyed the spaLunch by the pool while I read my second book of the trip
Getting to pick out sunglasses courtesy of Maui Jim's, who also runs SAP
Another nap and then the gym to work off the excess of calories
Dinner with friends
And I finished my second book: Confessions of a Shopaholic I must see the movie now

We started the day off Friday swimming with dolphinspicture of a picture since they don't actually let you bring your own camera
More food and more pool time
While I napped Dustin decided to go out on a jet ski and see the whales splashing around
Gym again -- even if it did practically no good since I still gained a zillion pounds
SAP cocktail reception and sit down dinner with comedian Demetri Martin. Dinner was down on the beach so I made sure to use the bathroom a billion times before we left because I didn't want to be hiking back up every 5 minutes. Once I realized they had brought bathrooms down to the beach, all bets were off.
Finished my third book.
Room service dessert because I just hadn't consumed enough calories for the day

Saturday Dustin informed me that he could not sit around the pool for one more day. Apparently we have completely different ideas of vacation. So after amassage and mani/pedi for me, plus the Breakfast Buffet and too many pieces of french toast, we ventured off the Resort property by ourselves, despite my conviction that we were going to be kidnapped. We obviously were not.

We took a glass bottom boat to Lover's Beach where I learned Dustin and I also differ on taking pictures. I'm a big fan of people in pictures while he's more of a "take as many pictures of anything that I can." Below are some of his snapshots while I was trying not to barf from sea sickness. The water was really choppy at times.

My kind of snorkeling
Window to the Pacific Lover's Beach where we hung out for awhile. Half of it is on the Sea of Cortez side so the water is calm and there is great snorkeling and the other side is on the Pacific Ocean where the waves crash and you can see the whales passing by.

Then we ate a late lunch and did some souvenir shopping, including visiting the Del Sol store since Dustin worked for them while we were in college. I still remember their Christmas Party where they gave us all DVD players and a bunch of DVDs. DVD players were still pretty new back then and a lot of us were poor college students so we all squealed with delight. Now SAP spoils us with things like a Playstation 3/Blu Ray player and we haven't even opened it.

All the Del Sol products change color in the sun so they were instant hits with my kids. Poor Nate was mad yesterday when I told him he couldn't wear his shirt for the third day in a row.

After we finished shopping, we headed back to the hotel where I took a really late nap so we could meet my friend June and her boyfriend for dinner that night. They just happened to be in Cabo at the same time and we had a great evening. June is the best and her boyfriend John is almost as great.

Sunday was the sad day where we had to leave paradise. I managed to squeeze in some more calories, a few more hours by the pool and the rest of my fifth book while Dustin went shopping to spend the rest of our allotment and buy a few more presents. You know I'm exhausted when I don't want to go spend someone else's money.

After we got home and got the kids in bed, Dustin and I were pulling the pillows off our bed and he asks, "Where did the turn down service go?" I honestly miss having someone come and make my bed every morning, complete with folded towels a la Disney Cruise, and then coming in every night to a fresh bed with goodies. And so that was our vacation that we decided could count as Valentine's Day and our 10th Anniversary all rolled into one. Thanks Sweeite!

25 comments:

Chelsea said...

Yea! Your back! What a great trip!! You have every right my besty to brag away. It sounds amazing. Dreams are made of that in my head.
I laughed about being pregnant and seasickness on the boat. When my parents took us to Cabo we went deep sea fishing and my sister and I puked the WHOLE time. And our boat broke down. By the time they fixed it, we headed back and my dad didn't even get to fish. It was not a good day for him! So basically, you are pretty brave to go on a boat, pregnant to boot. Me and motions= bad news bears.
Welcome back to reality!!! :)

Meredith said...

I don't even know what to say..............insert a few phrases of jealousy and yes you are spoiled here................Oh yes, Dimitri Martin is very funny!

Molly said...

Wow, Dustin got V-Day done and your Anniversary and he didn't have to pay for it! Nice... Seriously, looks like you guys had an amazing time! I love Cabo, I think it's my favorite place in Mexico, it is gorgeous! Can Andy get a job at SAP? Just kidding. It's nice that you were able to have such a great vacation before #4 arrives!

Rach said...

Wow, sounds like the best trip EVER! We have never been to Cabo, but after hearing about your vacation we might have to plan a trip there. Welcome back.

Anita said...

You're right, I do hate you now! So jealous!!! I'm glad you guys had such a great vacation...now I know where to go next time we have a week without the kids and endless dollars to spend:)

Danika said...

I was thinking about you in paradise on Friday as I got a broken tooth drilled and a crown done!

Only 70 days to go for us...though ours won't be nearly as fancy, since we'll actually be paying for everything (except the flight of course) and I won't be pregnant!

Please take some of photos of Brandon at the V-day party tomorrow and send them to me (along with the christmas ones...)

Kathleen said...

so so so incredibly jealous of the dolphin. i like dustin rockin the mexican stache

Kat said...

I'm so glad you had a good time, even if you didn't get to do everything Dustin did! I'm happy and relieved that you weren't kidnapped btw- I wondered about that last year when I went to Cancun, and anytime Scott talks about going to Rocky Point.... hmm. Anyway, I have missed you! Seems like I haven't seen you in 3-4 weeks! We must get together soon

Brenda Janda said...

Sounds like you had a blast. Glad you gotta go.
I still miss the spoiled treatment we got on our cruise.
It was amazing and addicting.

lynette said...

yuck. your trip sounds terrible. i'm so sorry you had such a rotten time.

no really, i'm so jealous...and that's hard to do since I live in paradise!

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Yep, I'm Jealous. Your trip sounds like it was amazing. Wow! you read fast.

Casey said...

You got a free PS3 and you haven't opened it yet?

Send that thing my way! All I got from my company was a lousy wage freeze and canceling their 401K contributions!

Casey said...

Hate you.






BTW there can't be two Casey's.

Shauna said...

Glad you had fun! (I shall not covet.) The trip really sounded great! (I shall not covet.) Free trip, all the food you can eat, lots of sightseeing, and great gifts - WOW! (I.shall.not.covet.)

Rickie said...

Thanks for posting the pictures. That is amazing you got to see so many whales!! It looks like a trip that you definately deserved, to just be pampered while you are pregnant. Mike and I definately have different views of vacation. he likes to go, go, go. So, just think, if we ever go somewhere together, him and Dustin can hang out while you and I relax by the beach!! Looks like so much fun.

Steve and Sarah said...

So i guess I am stocking your blog now! I am glad I found you! I am glad you got some R&R before the little one arrives!

Holly said...

Yep...I hate you all over again:p
I really am glad that you were able to get away before baby #4 comes! Looks like you had a blast!

Chelsea said...

BESTY! I just watched Demetri Martin on Jimmey Kimmel the other night and thought his name sounded familiar. I dvr'd it because I was falling asleep near the end, and just watched it with Cody. He was talking about how he just was in Mexico and did a show there down in a big tent. It totally clicked why/where I had heard of him. From you! And it was YOUR show he was talking about!! I got so excited that instead of listening to what all he said about it I got on here. So, I'll have to watch it again (3rd times a charm?!) and see what he said. Okay, watched it again. He said that he never likes performing in a tent. It's always bad. And he said he could hear the crickets chirping in the tent.

But, I guess I was genuinely excited for you and your amazingly spoiled rotten trip since I remembered weird details of it! :)

swampbaby said...

Sounds DIVINE!!

Lisa said...

i am so glad you had a great time!!!

m = michelle said...

only you would exercise on a vacation!

Amber said...

Fun, Fun, Fun! Looks like you guys had a blast, I am so jealous.
I have never been to Mexico.....Looks way fun though!

Kaelene said...

You are so lucky to be able to kick back and relax. I guess that is good, though, since soon you'll have 4 reasons to be really busy, and up all night and changing diapers, and . . . . .
That's what memories are for, right?? ;)

Kaelene said...

You are so lucky to be able to kick back and relax. I guess that is good, though, since soon you'll have 4 reasons to be really busy, and up all night and changing diapers, and . . . . .
That's what memories are for, right?? ;)

Lisa Brown said...

What a perfect vacation - aside from the motion sickness bits. I need one just like that - now if I could only convince Kevin he needs it too :).