layout

8/20/2009

Teacher vent

It's probably just me, but I spend about the first month of every grade being disgruntled with Ellie's teachers. I don't know if it's a natural thing or it's just the teacher in me thinking, "That's not how I would do it."

The first few weeks I will call my girlfriends and give them my latest beef. For example Kindergarten:

1. Ellie wrote her name on her homework with a heart over the "i." Teacher CROSSED IT OUT! It's her stinking homework for heavens sake.

2. She had to pull a stick for talking in the bathroom. DUDE! It's her first week in school and she's never gotten to go to the bathroom at the same time as a friend before. Of course she is excited. She's never gotten a stick pulled again in her entire school career.

I signed all of my e-mails for the first month as "Madelyn Rogers." In my mind, it was some sort of bizarre punishment to not let her call me Maddy.

First Grade:

1. She wasn't getting her peg moved up on the reward board. Would she ever make it to Lunch Bunch? My daughter is perfect, how can she not be moving her up? She made it to every lunch bunch

2. Why does she hate my daughter's handwriting so much? It's the first week of school lady, relax on the penmanship, it's not the end all be all of the academic world. Ellie really does have sloppy handwriting.

3. WHY DOESN'T SHE USE E-MAIL!! It was so much easier last year when I could e-mail the teacher all day, we even called each other by our first names. We were BFFs, I will never like this teacher.

Of course I then went on to LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE both of these teachers. In fact I would even say I ADORE them both and wish they were going to be around for the rest of my kiddos. They are amazing teachers and I know they loved my daughter beyond measure.

So this year I *promised* to myself that I would relax and give this teacher a little time before I made any judgment calls. And just like every morning when I wake up and tell myself that I'm not going to eat dessert, I can't resist!

Second Grade:

1. Ellie says she yells. Scout Burley says she yells. Why would a teacher need to yell?

2. The A/C in their class went out. No explanation came home, just a note telling us to send water bottles and dress the kids in skirts and shorts to stay cool.

Ummmm, it's Arizona It's a 110 out, I think I want to know when this is going to be fixed. So I e-mailed her wondering what was up and also why the passwords she gave for the book orders were wrong. She e-mailed me back a day later with a cut and paste answer about the A/C (which was out for a week and a half after I called the District and found out the PO was sitting on the desk of someone who was OUT OF TOWN so no one even knew) and no answer on the book order thing.

Over a week later, she e-mailed about the book order password thing. Thanks for being on top of it.

3. Today, after school, she e-mailed out her newsletter announcing that the kids would have their first spelling test on Thursday, August 20th. Yeah that's today. Thanks for the advance notice. Also, the first phonogram test will be on Thursday, August 20th. "Will be" or did you mean, "already was?"

Then she sent out a separate e-mail to 'ensure' us that the word 'attatchment' was just a typo on the newsletter. How about all the other mistakes. Like saying there will be no school on Monday, September 1st??

Gads, I feel like such a mean person getting all picky like this. I'm sure I'll love her by the end of the year, but why do I do this to myself the first few weeks? Is anyone else exceptionally hard on their kid's teacher???

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

Oh how I love you Madelyn. You really crack me up. That or this cold medicine... no, I know it's you! Especially when you used the word "Gads." It just chalks up another reason to adore you. We use that in our house too, but it's to laugh about my grandma.
So I have no help or advice regarding school stuff. I would love to ensure you that you'll love her soon.

Mamacita said...

You are hilarious!! We all feel the same, but I think the teacher in you takes it to the extreme (in a good way). I'm sure you and Ellie's teacher will be the best of friends in a few short weeks.

She's your baby, she can do no wrong, and how can a perfect stranger with a few short weeks of contact with her tell you otherwise?

I love you and your frankness. Are you sure your kids teachers never read your blog? j/k.

Abby told me this year she was never allowed to wear cute things in her hair because it was distracting when she played with them. What's she supposed to do shave her head?

Hang in there Madelyn. This too shall pass :)

Maddy said...

I love you guys! Thanks for making me laugh. I love that Abby!!

And yes, Chelsea, I ensure you that I will in fact be her biggest fan by the time the year is finished.

Madelyn Rogers

Meredith said...

Why don't you send her a can of Ensure with a not attatched with a link to your blog?? You know, I said I didn't have any beefs with my teachers but Ms. J in Kindergarten can be a little sort on words. Me, I go on and on. Her emails are max 3 words. That kinda bugs me. Lindsay's 3rd grade teacher writes a lot and I love that!

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, I feel your frustration. I was in tears a few days over my anger at Lily's situation at the beginning of the year. And I am with you on the yelling thing - there is no reason for it. Unfortunately, that seemed to be how they disciplined in Georgia - which was so sad, since all they had to do to fix the behavior was a well phrased sentence. Maybe they don't train them as well as we were? I am hoping NC is better.

And although things might change and get better, our job as a mom is to gage the situation and make sure it does, so don't be too hard on yourself. You are just being mama bear :).

Kathleen said...

every time i think about that crossing out the heart thing i get so pissed off. also remembering the things WE use to do in the bathroom, i'd say talking is no big deal. i remember blowing bubbles with the soap and throwing wet paper towels over the stalls at each other.

her teacher seems like a bit of a loser.

Anita said...

I think I am pretty easy on my kids teachers...although Jordan's second grade teacher sportin' a nose ring wasn't my favorite. But the worst for me was when my first baby started Kindergarten and they had a SUBSTITUTE for the first 2 WEEKS of school!!! Seriously--what the heck?! Hopefully everything turns out well for you guys and 2nd grade:)

Casey said...

You are one crazy lady Madelyn Rogers...but that's why I love ya!!

Sara said...

Now I wish I had a full name -- there's no way to let Libby's teacher know that I am NOT her friend when I just sign "Sara."

What a hoot. You are fantastic Maddy.