layout

8/06/2009

Ten Years -- Lucky Me


Today is our ten year wedding anniversary. Since we decided to count Cabo as our big celebration seeing as we would have a newborn when it rolled around, and we are forced to attend Curriculum Night at school AGAIN this year I still wanted to do a little something to celebrate the actual day. So please induldge my sappy little post.

When I married Dustin, I thought I was pretty lucky. Well after 10 years, I don't just *think* it, I KNOW I am lucky. There are just some things that get better with time and being married to Dustin is one of them. I definitely think the first few years of marriage are bliss, but love is even better after all the newness fades and the struggles and responsibilities come. I can honestly say I love Dustin more today than our wedding day.

In honor of our ten years, here are ten fantastic things that Dustin does to make being married to him so easy. And don't worry -- these may be sappy, but they're pretty light hearted. I'll save the deep and serious stuff for just the two of us.

1. He does 90% of the cooking. And it's really good cooking too. People are always asking to get a recipe of something he's cooked for them. Every now and then I may make a meal -- like Father's Day or when he's out of town -- but even when he's gone on a business trip, he'll usually cook up a few meals for me to re-heat. And now that he works from home, he'll even make me lunch if he gets a chance.

2. He jumps at the chance to help me with my day. If he doesn't have a morning meeting, he'll offer to drive carpool for me or make everyone breakfast. On Saturdays he's been known to take all of them grocery shopping so Luke and I can nap and clean. If the laundry gets piled up he'll take a basket or two to fold and iron my Church clothes.

3. Dustin is a great friend to everyone -- including my friends. He offered to watch a friend's kids so we could run a race last year while her husband took the LSAT and he's watched another so we could throw a baby shower. He's gone and jumped a few cars, made plenty of meals after friends have had babies, and he never complains if we end up with a few extra kids helping a friend out.

4. He doesn't sweat the small stuff. When I got my first (and only) speeding ticket, Dustin was out of town. I was so upset about the whole thing and when I told him, he just told me not worry about it because it happens to everyone. There have been so many times I've made a mistake and he never gets mad and he never harps on it. He just lets things roll of his back. I've never had to hide a receipt or justify a purchase and he's alwasy generous when it comes to splitting the bill or treating a friend.

5. He has no guile. I don't think Dustin has ever met a person he doesn't like. So many times I get riled up about a person or a situation and Dustin can always help me settle down. He has the incredible ability to focus on the real issues and see the best in everyone.

6. He works hard to provide for our family. I'm so grateful for how hard he works at everything -- his job, his calling, taking care of our family. Dustin has never gotten anything but glowing reviews from everyone he works with.

7. He is willing to sacrifice sleep. He wakes up at 4:45 every morning so he can fit the gym into his busy schedule and is still willing to stay up to put Luke to bed, or make a late night run to the store for diapers, milk, or my Golden Spoon cravings.

8. He is partially responsible for the cutest kids EVER. I love my kids big brown eyes and sweet little dimples (except for poor Luke) that I know they got from their Daddy. Our first and our last weren't planned and Dustin always was so excited no matter what. His positive outlook and love for them from the get-go always helped me get over the shock and frustration.

9. He is a great Dad. Dustin knows all our kids' friends, their teachers names, their schedules, their favorite foods and toys. . . He's the one to take them to Urgent Care or the ER. He never complains about a night home alone with the kids while I go out with friends or when I was always running around for Church meetings. There isn't anything that our kids need that he's too busy for.

10. He loves me. Despite all my craziness and high-strung moments, he still tells me multiple times a day that he loves me. And I know he tries hard every day to make me happy

I know everyone thinks their husband is the greatest, but I think we can all agree that Dustin is pretty fantastic. I'm so very lucky because I'm pretty sure if I ended up with anyone else I'd be in trouble. I love you and thank you for making me so happy!

17 comments:

Kathleen said...

maddy, that was really sweet, happy tenth. that is freaky. we love dustin, too. he is great. i would still be on the side of the road in gilbert if dustin didn't rescue me from my car accident. but maddy, you're pretty great, too, ya know!

Amber Miskin said...

Congratulations guys! You don't even seem old enough to have been married 10 years! He really is great, but I have to echo Kathleen, so are you!

Danika said...

Congratulations! What, no wedding photos? Those are my favorite! And Curriculum night 2 years in a row on your anniversary - that's just lame. Better than having your birthday the first day of school, though! :)

I don't know Dustin well, but he sounds like a great guy. Any man that cooks & does laundry is a total keeper!

Molly said...

Dustin is a great guy! Congrats to the two of you.

Burwell's Bits said...

Congrats!!! You picked a STAR!!!

Janel said...

I agree, you are definetly spoiled!! I think Dustin is great, too. Happy anniversary!! You have such a cool family! Love ya!

Mamacita said...

That was so sweet and not too sappy. :)
Congratulations you two!

Lara Neves said...

Awww...Happy ANniversary you guys!

Anita said...

Shoot, I should have married Dustin...JK. I'm glad you've got a guy who treats you right:0) Happy Anniversary! Our 10th is in December...

Meredith said...

A match made in heaven. That's alls I gots to say!

Rickie said...

I can't believe it has been a year since your last anniversary. It seems like yesterday you were talking about how it fell on curriculum night and I was watching your kids and didn't even offer to let you guys go out to dinner or something. But, anyways, Congratulations!! I think you described him very well, he is very sweet to you!! You make such a great couple. No wonder you won the newlywed game.

Rach said...

Happy Anniversary!! Wow, I can't believe it has been 10 years already. I remember when you guys first moved in to Union Square. Time flies!

The Tyler's said...

Happy 10th! Yup, you got a good one...you both did. When we come to visit I will be expecting a cupcake in a jar!!
Love that pic of you guys.

Brenda Janda said...

Maddy, that is the sweetest post. You do have an awesome hubby. And you are an adorable pair. Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Closer than my peeps you are to me... love--Brett


I love all of those things you said about Dustin. I remember one time when Brett found out that he washed his black ink pen in our laundry and then dried it. We had black in spots all over our clothes. I was at your apartment when Brett called me. Dustin was the one to calm me down!! He said it would be fine, and to remember that I love Brett. I think he even suggested we get some Oxyclean. So--there you have it ;D

Love you both very much! love--Kasia

Megan said...

Happy anniversary! 10 years is great! You two were made for each other!

Lisa Brown said...

Wow - you definitely found a winner. It sounds like you really are perfect for each other, and I hope you have a wonderful anniversary. By the way, that picture of the two of you is gorgeous :).