layout

9/10/2009

Dear Brother-in-Law

You're the BEST! No seriously, the BEST!

Nate decided that this year he would like to have a Superhero birthday party (yeah, we plan parties early around here). I remembered that Hayden once upon a time had a Superman birthday party and Molly made capes as the party favors. I thought this was a brilliant idea and way better than handing out a goodie bag full of junk that would probably break, get eaten or get lost within a week.

The problem: I can't sew. Luckily I know lots of people who can, but making the capes would mean harassing said friends and generally just feeling like a mooch. Dustin's mom also sews, but since she's making Ellie's baptism dress and Luke's Christmas stocking (plus Christmas stockings for Chris and Shauna's new little twins) I figured I'd let her off the hook.

I searched the internet and seriously considered paying some Etsy lady $8 a cape just so I wouldn't have to be a burden. Then reconsidered and figured the kids could settle for dollar spot gems. Until. . .

The Solution: Kyle sews. If you haven't seen his talents, he is in the process of making my sure-to-be-adorable niece Livy (as in Olivia Madelyn) a ruffle track suit. Or should I say, he was in the process of making a track suit until I offered him a nominal fee to make some super hero capes for me. Ten to be exact.

We couldn't decide if they should be Superman or batman or 5 of each, so we settled on reversible. Making my brother-on-law even awesomer! So Kathleen and Kyle are now knee deep in felt and cotton and superhero logos.

This is the point where you a)wished you had a boy b) wished you lived closer so your son could come to Nate's party or c)jump for joy because you know you're kid will be getting one of these capes-of-fun!

The Superhero himself.

23 comments:

Kathleen said...

kyle IS a super hero. i'll call you after class so be around, missy!

Lara Neves said...

Wow. What amazing capes. And what an amazing Brother-in-law. That even sews. He is a true super hero!

Meredith said...

Are you kidding me? Kyle is the BEST!

Anita said...

Well, I am "B" wishing we lived closer so my son could go to Nate's party...I'm sure it'll be fabulous!! Great idea for party favors BTW!

Burwell's Bits said...

Very Cool!!! I am just wishing my son was old enough to go to Nate's party but I figure he has enough of the younger crowd with Sadie and Luke. Enjoy the caped crusaders!!!

Lisa Brown said...

Totally wish Derek lived close enough to go to Nates party. Such a great idea for favors!! I love it!

Amber Miskin said...

That is so awesome Maddy.

Amber Miskin said...

That is so awesome Maddy.

Amy F. said...

That is sooo cool! I wish I could sew, and, now, I wish my Husband could sew!!
My Sister did that for her little boy's 4th birthday party. They turned out super cute! (She can sew, apparently... jealous ;).
Super!!

Michelle said...

Kyle is the best! Oh yes! Kyle is the Best! Kudos to Kyle!

Nate you are one lucky Nephew!

Love you all! Granma

Michelle said...

Kyle is the best! Oh yes! Kyle is the Best! Kudos to Kyle!

Nate you are one lucky Nephew!

Love you all! Granma

The Tyler's said...

Yup, I'll take b.

Megan said...

You have a cool brother in law. I need to borrow him. The girls decided they want to be Super Heros for Halloween. I'm going to attempt to make them myself but I would rather not.
Sounds like a fantastic party!

Amber said...

That is such a cute ideal for favors! I wish I could sew D:

What an amazing brother-n-law you have! Lucky :D

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS! I am definitely in the category of wishing I lived closer so I could attend this bday party. -Ashley

ajoachim said...

Do you have to be a boy to get one?

Casey said...

Wow those are so stinking cute!!! Reversible?? Who could ask for more???

mystery boo papa said...

holy cow, batman!

Unknown said...

I am jumping for joy no matter what, because those capes are awesome!!

jacque said...

I'm impressed. I don't think I know a single guy who 1. sews 2. is willing to sew 10 capes like that. Nate and his posse will be stoked!

Rach said...

Okay, that's awesome! I wish we lived closer so my son could go to Nate's party! See, boy parties are fun too. =)

Unknown said...

Seriously cool. You're going to have some very excited little boys in your house!

But how the heck will you top it next year?! You've now set the standard... :P

swampbaby said...

So fun! You just gave me an idea for some fun birthday and/or Christmas presents. Too bad I don't sew either...