layout

4/07/2013

Fool's Cafe

My kids loooove April Fool's Day (don't all kids??).  I shot myself in the foot six years ago when I first started my "food that looks like other food" tradition -- even before pinterest existed -- because I am officially out of fun things to do.

I did manage to come up with a new breakfast prank -- thanks to pinterest -- and I froze their milk, cereal and spoon in a bowl overnight. 
 Sadie demonstrates her super strength as she tries to get her spoon out.  And Luke, whose cereal sat out for awhile, decided to eat his like a cereal popsicle.  Apparently he likes his food that way.

For dinner I've decided we're starting a new tradition that is easier to continue -- The Fool's Cafe.  I'm sure everyone has been to a youth activity or had a family dinner like this before, but basically you create a menu where the food, drinks and utensils all have another wacky name and the family orders from that.  It's a great way to trick your family into eating leftovers.
Here is Luke eating his entree order of: What's Up Doc?, Once You Pop the Fun Don't Stop and the Fruits of Johnny's Labors with his dinglehopper.

My menu had about 25 items on it and I had everyone order 3-4 items per course for a 3 course meal.  Nate actually freaked out at first because he was sure I was going to feed them disgusting things like brains.  I tried to explain that all the food was edible and delicious and the only item he should stay away from I had appropriately named:THIS HAS CHEESE as a warning for him *not* to order it.  Dustin turned his order in and asked me if he had any sort of protein.  He had to reorder.  And I did feel a little guilty when everyone thought they were getting ice cream and it was just ice.

The kids love love loved it and they're are already excited for next year.

2 comments:

Anita said...

We used to call that a "pin dinner"...not sure why:) What a fund mom you are Madddy!! I find myself constantly telling my friends all about your cool ideas...keep them comin':)

Kristine Hodson said...

Maddy,
You make everything fun!
I love you!
Thank you for the great pictures of Luke and Sadie
Love Kristine