layout

4/01/2008

I made dinner!

Yes -- you read that right. It's not even an April Fool's joke! I really did. I even threw in cleaning up and the dishes because I'm that nice.

I made meatloaf in cupcake tins and then used mashed cauliflower as the frosting. You should have seen the excitement on my kids' faces when they thought they were having cupcakes for dinner. Nate was shouting, "It's my birthday?" and Ellie said, "I knew we were having cupcakes!! I want pink."

Oh poor kids! Nate went in to get a lick of frosting and shouts in horror, "That's mashed potatoes." Nate warmed up after a minute and ate them, put Ellie pouted almost the entire dinner because she didn't like being tricked. Ha ha! Totally worth it.

I tried to trick Dustin by telling him my sister called me this morning to tell me she was pregnant. His response, "You know it's April Fool's day right? She was tricking you." Well, DUH! I knew it was April Fool's day, but I didn't expect him to remember. Oh well. Maybe next year. Anyone have any great pranks?

According to Ellie's class work:
During the 15oo's, the calendar was changed. The official start of the new year moved from April 1st to January 1st.

Some people still celebrates the new year on April 1st. These people were thought to be "fools" and had jokes played on them. They were given invitations to fake parties and were given gag gifts.

Despite the mean origin, HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!

18 comments:

Molly said...

Those look awesome Maddy! You are so creative, I was little shocked on the phone when you told me you were making dinner, good for you! My OB told me I was 3 cm dilated today at my appt., I knew it was a joke, I never dilate on my own, sure enough I was right, nothing!

Ammon said...

Oh man, Great gag!

P.S. I would have pouted like Ellie too!

swampbaby said...

My kids' best April Fools joke is, "Hey, Mama, watch out there's a spider on you!" and then they laugh hysterically.

Lara Neves said...

So is it a total shock around your house when you make dinner or something? I know it is at mine.

This is a great idea. I am going to try to remember it for next year.

I totally fell for my niece's trick...she updated her facebook "relationship status" to engaged. And so did the guy that she was supposedly engaged to. I totally fell for it, but then I started wondering when I realized what today was. OH well.

Lisa said...

what a good trick on your kids. ha ha

i did a good one today. i had my oldest daughter convinced that my son was planning to propose to his girlfriend! ha she fell for it!

Kaelene said...

That is an AWESOME gag!! And, those "cupcakes" look pretty authentic . . . I never would've thought that they are meatloaves!
I gotta remember that one!
And, thanks for the history lesson - I have always wondered why it is April Fool's day on 04/01. Now I know!

Ann said...

That's awesome, Maddy! I've got to remember that one for next year!

Chelsea said...

Chalk another point up for your amazing ideas!!! That is truly the best. I didn't even attempt anything. I have yet to fall for a prank too. All day after anyone ever says anything I always am the first to say "April fool's" just waiting. Ryan Secerest didn't fool me! :)

Kathleen said...

i love nate's tongue in the picture. BHAHAHAHAH!

Jackson Wright Family said...

That's too funny. What a great idea. I'll have to try that out sometime.

Holly said...

So, 2 years ago I did a really fun dinner...I did the same as you with the meatloaf/mashed potatoes, but in an 8x8 pan and decorated it like a cake. (I think your way is a little more convincing though). Then, for dessert I made "taco salad". It was a waffle bowl, chocolate ice cream (meat), yellow and green coconut (cheese and lettuce), whipping cream (sour cream), and marachino cherries (cherry tomatoes). It was a hit! Then, for drinks, I did jello. That was the funniest part.
I don't know if you read my entire last post, but my sister put cardboard in her husband's sandwich. And...I guess my aunt makes a real Sponge cake out of sponges. What a fun day!

Meredith said...

We did NOTHING for April fool's day! We are so lame. Those are super cool - where on earth did that idea come from?

Maddy said...

family fun magazine -- I bought it to give to my neighbor who was in the hospital, but then when I got there she already had it, so I took it home and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Lisa Brown said...

How fun!! Family Fun magazine always has great ideas for trick food, but I haven't ever tried it yet.

laura said...

how clever! my kids would have probably cried! ;)

thanks for the april 1st history - i did not know that!

Rickie said...

You are great, Maddy. Did your kids end up eating these? That is awesome. We didn't have nearly as much fun at our house on April fools. But, that makes me want to start planning for next year!

Rickie said...

They should have known it was a joke, like mom made us dinner tonight? Something must be going on. Just kidding maddy.

Amy F. said...

So cute! That meatloaf looks yummy (in a backwards kind of way).
I love the history lesson too!