layout

4/27/2014

An Evening in Paris

We bounced a few ideas around for Ellie's 12th birthday party before settling on Paris. I actually tried to get out of it, but it's not every day your daughter turns 12. So I said we'd do it up and then she's have to wait until 16 for the next big party.

Ellie planned a whole night out in the yard, with a big white tent, Christmas lights and eating under the stars. Then the weather blew in. After a few weeks of 90 degree weather, a storm caused the temperature to drop a good 30 degrees overnight. Add in wind gusts at 20 miles an hour and rain too. We ended up changing plans and moving it inside. It ended up being beautiful and wonderful, but definitely squishy and trashed my house.
Are you impressed with that tutu? You should be. It was made in about ten minutes flat. My sister tied it together as we drove to and from picking Luke up from a birthday party.

For dinner we had French fair. Baguettes with soft cheeses, thin meats, or jam. Croissants, fruit, french sparking lemonade, cream puffs, eclairs, meringues and macaroons for dessert. Probably not the best menu for tween girls, but they ate.
 

After dinner I let the girls go to town and play dress up. I had around 20 dresses, skirts and pairs of high heels for them to choose from, plus all of my jewelry, belts, scarves, makeup and nail polish. It was fun for the girls but slightly stressful for me. The worst part was the scuff marks all over my tile. I was chasing around after the girls with a Mr. Clean magic eraser the entire time. There were literally girls in every room of my house.
We had planned to have a runway walk off outside, but it got moved inside with the dinner. We moved all the furniture around in the living room and rolled out a red carpet complete with a photographer and music. I was worried the girls might think it a bit hokey, but they loved it so much we did it again, and again, and again.
 
Each time with wardrobe changes, new jewelry and more scuffs on the floor. I am so glad my sister was here because she ran the music, took all the pictures and made sure all the girls had fun despite my obsessive cleaning.  Happy Birthday baby girl!!

No comments: