layout

12/18/2007

Christmas Tag

I know I have frightened many of you with my hatred of tags -- and junk forwards as well -- but there is one kind of tag I like: CHRISTMAS TAGS! So here goes

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I love to wrap, so of course wrapping paper. I wrap everything in sight! I also wrap early. I buy the rolls at Costco as soon as they come out -- which is in October. Dustin is off in the snow of Colorado and he asked if he could wear his new coat I bought him for Christmas. NOPE! And you know why -- because it's been wrapped since the day the box arrived. I'll take things out of the box so I can wrap each item individually. It's a sickness.

2. Real tree or artificial? Fake. We did real one year and then Dustin missed the pick up date, so it sat on the side of our house until May. So yeah, FAKE!
I got this tree as birthday presents and it's still one of my favorite memories. Dustin had hidden it in a neighbor's garage, so he snuck off with the kids and came blaring down the street with Christmas music playing out of the car and honking the horn. I loved it!


3. When do you put up the tree? The day after Thanksgiving -- the most wonderful day of the year.

4. When do you take the tree down? Ummmmm, sometime before New Years. I get antsy to get things cleaned up and all organized quickly.

5. Do you like eggnog? About 3 sips of it. I'll buy a whole thing of it and then we have to throw over half of it away.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Anything to do with dolls. Dolls, doll houses, paper dolls, barbie dolls. Loved them all.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? Three -- One is nice one from my Aunt, one is a Little People from my Aunt, and my kids love the felt nativity scene we got from a girlfriend a few years ago. You can dress the people up and everything.

8. Hardest person to buy for? Dustin is a pain in the butt. He cannot commit to anything. I'll come up with fabulous ideas and he'll veto them all. Then he'll say he wants something like running shoes. The one thing I don't buy without people trying them on is running shoes! They're expensive and they all fit differently.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Nate. Ellie's at the I-already-have-everything-but-I-still-thinki-I-need-something-huge-and-stupid-and-expensive stage, Sadie's at the what-the-heck-do-you-need stage, but Nate is at the I-love-everything-you-get-for-me-even-if-it's-just-a-piece-of-paper stage. Just right!

***Speaking of Sadie, I'm starting to feel guilty about not getting her anything. So whoever comes up with something really fabulous I can get her gets a PRIZE. ***


10. Worst Christmas gift you ever got? I love every gift. Really I do. And if you believe that you're crazy.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? MAIL! I love going to the mail and getting Christmas cards! It's my FAVORITE part of the season. So much of life is in *cyber space* these days, that I love having something physical to hold onto. Plus I love t put up the pictures and look at the cute photos of their kids. . . and I put them all in an album that I look through to see how everyone's kids have grown. Sometimes when I go to the mail and I don't have any Christmas cards, I curse my e-mail card friends under my breath. If they had mailed theirs, maybe I'd have mail today! I hope Chelsea is feeling guilty now ;p

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Miracle of 34th Street and ELF!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? December 26th. Ha ha, just kidding. I usually get stuff starting in the summer. Right when I start my Christmas cards. For me Christmas starts in July.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Uhhh, maybe. I'm not telling. yes.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Sugar cookies. Any neighbor gifts. . . pretty much anything with carbs.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear. The kids like colored though, so the advent tree has colored lights on it just for them.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Silent Night. I love that commercial where all the babies are sleeping. . . Such a peaceful song.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home! I've done the traveling and I'd prefer to be home, where my kids seem to not get sick.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Possibly. Do I want to try? No.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel -- Ellie picked her out because she has a harp.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? What cheat opens their present on Christmas Eve? LAME! Christmas morning. All of them. Even if it takes 3 hours.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Weight gain.

23. What do you love most about Christmas? All of it! There are so many fun traditions and you really realize how blessed you are. I love the cards so I can catch up with friends, gifts from people to remind you how many people you love, traditions my kids look forward to every year, all the service opportunities so you can serve others, the music. . Can you tell it's my favorite time of the year?

I also have to share a funny Ellie moment. Before Dustin's flight the other night, he put a dinner in the crock pot for me. I also popped some refridgerated rolls in the oven that my girl friend had brought over the night before. So Ellie sees me in the kitchen and thinks I'm actually making things. After dinner she says, "Thanks for making us dinner mom! You never do that." I didn't bother correcting her that a. I didn't make dinner and b. UH YES I have! I may not do it a lot and it may not be the best, but I cook *something* at least every other week!

** DON'T forget about the PRIZE! I'm desperate people! Give me suggestions **

11 comments:

Chelsea said...

Guilty Shmilty. It's done and I didn't have to pretend and use my good handwriting on them! I loved it! :) Actually I am sad a tiny bit...just because I love seeing mine printed out. If it weren't for the stupid kids working the photo centers everywhere I could have got it figured out without having to have my friend remake it. SO sorry...and bahumbug! :)

I have an idea for Sadie: Cash got this for his first bday and it has been his most used/fav toy. Carter LOVES it too. It may be a bit to old for her...but she will be into it before you know it. (it is a fisher price zebra bounce spin thing.)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=4966364&sourceid=1500000000000003260330

Good luck! And I will send you your .41 soon so you can have some mail to open! :)

Chelsea said...

HA HA HA!!! I just saw my blog! :) Of course the blogging queen police saw you updated within minutes of your new post. I saw this before you comment! Love it! :)

Kerry said...

I can just picture Nate on Christmas morning!

*Gasp!* For me?!? And this is for meee??? And this is for meeee?!?!

He's so funny.

Anonymous said...

remember i said sand box and kyle said a solid gold teddy bear.

love, lola

Anonymous said...

and i also said a teeter totter but a safe one with the bouncy thing on the bottom.

love, lola

Lara Neves said...

I feel the same way about the mail when I dont' have at least one card. Curse those non mail sending friends!

Okay, as for Sadie's gift: Get her one of those Disney Princess cellphones. They're like 5 bucks, and you can just throw away the case that has stuff that might not be good for her age...but the phone, she'll love.

Anonymous said...

have you ever recycled a present? yes, expired vomit noodles.

Lisa Brown said...

I love that you love christmas that much! It makes me more excited for the holiday myself. And I am so with you, Christmas cards should be MAILED!!

Okay, for Sadie, so the first thing that came to mind is something I bought Derek this summer to play with on our plane ride to Idaho. It is a John Deere cellphone/car keys set - I know, John Deere, but it is truly the most fun toy cellphone and car keys I have ever found. You can even record your own voice saying things on it for her. Super cute, about $10, and at Target. Here's a link to a picture: http://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Phone-Learning-Curve/dp/B000A7ZYOA
Trust me, it is awesome :).

Maddy said...

I'm loving the suggestions so far -- even Kyle's lame-o gold teddy bear ;p

Chelsea-- My mom bought that for her! I think she is going to love it. Especially since I caught her crawling on top of the toilet today. I think she's ready for some big kid toys!

And I think I have to defend the expired vomit noodles!

My sister went to ASU her Freshman year of college and before moving back to W&M, she gave us all of her "college food" including 4 or 5 packs of Cup of Noodle. Right before she headed out, she ate one of the Cup of Noodles and ended up vomiting the entire next day, so we blamed it on the vomit noodles. Instead of throwing out the remaining 4 packs, I kept them for another 6 months and wrapped them for her for Christmas! The best part was that they expired sometime in September. HA HA HA! I thought I was so funny.

I also got her a real present, so no one feel too sorry for her. I just think things like that are hilarious.

Chelsea said...

So do I get a prize since I was the winner of an already perfectly purchased idea?! :) I have an idea for the prize: some slack for emailing my card this year?! :) Just an idea!

So my other idea is get her nothing. I know...I am mean. But she is getting stuff from everyone else and she is going to love the paper and boxes of everything anyways. So why spend extra money? Plus you need to save your $ for your real needs: an acadia! :)

Janel said...

I love this tag, its very cute. I'll have to steal it for mine.
I'm fresh out of baby girl ideas for gifts,my first instinct is to give her a big empty box. Or some really crinkly paper stuff. Thats what she's gonna like the most.