layout

12/17/2007

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Since I'm sure no one wants a total recap of my weekend every Monday, I thought I'd honor Merry Monday by posting a little about Christmases past.2oo2 -- Ellie was 8 months old for her first Christmas. This picture kills me because Sadie is almost 11 months, but looks tinier wearing the same dress. I think it must be her small head?

We went to Virgina for Christmas and my nephew ended up in the hospital on an IV drip with rotavirus. He passed it onto Ellie before that, though, so we were up all night changing sheets and diapers. Ellie also got waaaaay too many presents. I can't believe how much stuff everyone got her. Sadie isn't even getting anything from us this year! I definitely learned my lesson.2oo3 -- Ellie was sick AGAIN! She had croup and was up coughing all night. She also had a constant runny nose that I wiped off so much that she scabbed over. I thought it was dried boogers, so I tried to scrape them off and she started bleeding. A fine mommy moment!

Dustin whole family came to Arizona for Christmas and we spent Christmas Eve at Dustin's brother's in Maricopa. All 16 of us in a 3 bedroom house and half of the family was sick -- double ear infections, pneumonia, more croup. . . It's funny to think about now! We still managed to have a good time and it was fun to have the cousins together on Christmas morning.
2oo4 -- Nate's first Christmas. We were back in Virgina for this year too for Casey and Sarah's wedding. While Dustin's whole family and my family were together, we blessed Nate at my parents' house. Darian and Jen were the only one's missing, but they get a free pass since Jerge was back in Tennessee giving birth to Wyatt the same day.2oo5 -- We finally got to stay home for a Christmas! It was also the start of our Christmas Eve tradition. We have friends over for soup in bread bowls, do the Nativity, decorate cookies for Santa, and then Santa comes and leaves pajamas on the doorstep for all of the kids. It's my favorite part of Christmas!

Dustin's parents came out from Iowa and brought Nate his stocking. Dustin's mom hand makes them all. Aren't they perfect? She does an amazing job. I can't wait for Sadie's to arrive for this year.2oo6 -- The year my parents bought the kids a hummer! This year my sister came all the way from William and Mary to spend Christmas with us. I was incredibly pregnant with Sadie and trying to do anything to get that little girl to come out. Who knew it would be almost a month later!

Those PJs were also a huge hit. Nate wore those penguin PJs until his belly button was poking out. It was a sad day for him when I put them in the storage bin. And Ellie can still wear hers. I can't wait to see all three of my kids in their Santa PJs.

Awww, looking at all of these pictures has me so excited for this year and all the memories we're going to have! So Merry Monday to you!

15 comments:

Lara Neves said...

What a fun post! I may just copy you on this.

I have had the hardest time finding Christmas PJs this year! It might be because I live in such a small town with only WalMart and some high end clothing stores, but nobody has any. Grr. I'm calling my mom to send her out looking for me since I'm running out of time. That is a fave tradition over here too. :)

Sarah said...

What a fun stroll down memory lane. I love the kids stockings. It's really cool that D's mom makes them. Santa brings Liz jammies on Christmas Eve too. I love that tradition!

Meredith said...

My kids always get cool Christmas jammies (Last year the girls and I got matching Nick and Nora Sock Monkey jammies - they were so cute!) This year they are getting princess and tinkerbell - I am anti-character clothes in real life so I let them have character PJs. So, they are not christmassy but it is what they will be excited for.

I love the pictures of all the christmas' past!

Lisa Brown said...

What a great idea to remember all the past years! I love your Christmas Eve traditions - how fun! I love Ellie's first Christmas picture - espcially her cute poofy hair :).

Casey said...

Love all the pictures!! Hopefully no one will be sick this year! This pajama tradition...does Santa leave them when they're asleep? I've never heard of this - sounds cute.

Ammon said...

I hope this year no one gets sick... seems like a reoccurring theme. Also, it's so crazy to think the last time I saw you guys, Ellie was about the size she is in the second picture. Time flies!

Maddy said...

Casey -- Santa has always brought them Christmas Eve when they are still awake. The usual tradition is all the parents bring their PJs to the house, and then someone sneaks out and rings the doorbell. By the time get to the door there is a huge pile of presents and then whoever dropped the gifts off is around the corner and jingles bells and says, "HO HO HO." Then we bring all the gifts in and read a note from Santa that tells them he's on his way so hurry home. Then all the kids change into their PJs and everyone heads to their home to put the kids in bed.

We also make cookies the same night, so all the kids have a little plate of cookies and note to leave out for Santa.

Kerry said...

That is a neat recap of past Christmases! It is amazing how fast time goes by.

Holly said...

Love how you have "Santa" come on Christmas eve with pjs for the kids! I may steal that idea!

Chelsea said...

I love your idea of the post..and the tradition. SOOO CREATIVE MISS MADDY! :) And you may have the worst record for sick kids on a holiday!! Hope this year is healthy! My bro in law said that his has been the slowest season they have ever had in the ped's area. So hopefully that stays true! Good luck!! :)

Kat said...

I loved seeing Nate and Ellie in the younger days! Stinkin cute kids! I'm going to miss having Ellie in my class!

Anonymous said...

That was a cool post, Maddy! Isn't it fun to have photos to remember all the small details?
Merry Christmas past, present and future!
Kaelene

Unknown said...

Ahhhh the memories ;D I remember when Ellie was that little. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

That just makes me smile all over! I also marvel at how much your kids look alike. Now I'm excited to see all of them in their new Christmas jammies.

Lisa said...

it is amazing how fast time goes by!! great pics!