layout

4/07/2008

Liberty Bear

Liberty Bear is a pain in the butt.

There I said it! I know it's horrible to think that, but it's true. All year long I've heard about who got to bring Liberty Bear home and dealt with the pouting when week after week it wasn't Ellie. Finally on Friday, Ellie comes running in the door wit a big red back pack -- HOORAY! We finally got Liberty Bear.

Then I open the binder and DANG! LB is a lot of work. First there's the poster we have to make, plus you're suppose to bring in a jar full of stuff for the "estimation jar," the spotlight sheet, the scrapbook page, the journal entry. . . whatever. Liberty Bear is over rated. Maybe not as much as natural child birth, bu close.

And I can only say this here because when Ellie's around I think he's the *coolest thing EVER*

Knowing how much there was to do and how little time we were going to have Ellie and I set out for some shopping right away. First we visited the scrapbook store where Ellie picked her cardstock based on it's name rather than color, like "lipstick" and "pajama." She picked out a sheet of patterned paper, some flowers and ribbon. . . $14 later we headed to Target.

At Target Ellie picked out some peppermints for the estimation jar. These are the details she gives me: "You have to pick a big number to put in. Like you can't put anything with twenty in it. You have to put way more in." OK, so I'm thinking we have to fill the jar and I buy this Costco-sized bag of peppermints. Yeah, get home and re-read the instructions and it turns out the number is suppose to be between 25 and 5o. Which really doesn't seem to be a very good exercise in estimation to me, but I like to follow the rules and now I have an entire canister full of leftover mints.

We come home and Ellie and I argue over the poster. Basically we weren't seeing each other's "artistic visions." We decided to let it rest for the night and Liberty went to sleep with Ellie.

Saturday we ran to the gym, ran home watched Conference, ran to our friends' house to swim and have a BBQ and watch afternoon Conference/play Rock Band, ran back home in time to pick up a sitter to go shopping with some girl friend's during Priesthood. . . And where was LB -- in his backpack in the back of the car. We totally forgot about him and there was no time to make our poster.

Sunday turned into the same thing. Poor neglected Liberty Bear. Of course we get home around 7 tonight after brunch at our friend's and had to make the star student poster. When things have to be done at the last minute, compromising becomes a little bit easier. I gave a little -- who cares if all the pinks actually match, Ellie gave a little and we popped that baby out in under an hour. Most of the time was spent looking through pictures which was really the fun part of the whole thing. I know I have a baby and all, but I wish I could hold Ellie as a baby again. Elder Ballard's talk totally made me cry and then those pictures did me in!

OK, vent over. I think I can enjoy Liberty Bear now. I vow to spend the rest of the week making sure he has some fun --outside of the backpack-- and feels a little bit more at home.

13 comments:

Chelsea said...

Cutest poster! That cracks me up all the work you have to do. Now I feel bad for my mom having to do that for all 6 of us! No wonder she loves being a grandma now! No work!
I can't wait to have 5 minutes to sit down and watch conference.

Ammon said...

Don't you just love it when your kid's "fun" project turns into homework for you! Looks and sounds like it turned out great, though.

Janel said...

At least you didn't take LB out of town with you and lose him at grandmas and have to buy a new one with patriotic clothes from Build a Bear. And since he was lost you couldn't take pictures.......I had a disdain for the poor LB too.

Kaelene said...

Elder Ballard's talk made me cry, too! And looking at your poster made me teary, too.
You are a rockin' mom, Maddy!
And I didn't know that Ellie's name is Isabelle . . .cool!

Kathleen said...

good thing you edited that out. i was about to steal her identity. when she turned 18 her money would be all mine. please tell me you didn't write down kyle's ss number.

Casey said...

Okay your are not painting a nice picture of CTA for those of us with kids entering school soon. Liberty Bear sounds like A LOT of work!!

Kerry said...

I love the Liberty Bear story!!

Oh, and I totally hear you on wanting to hold baby Ellie again. Oh my gosh, seeing that picture in the layout where she is three really made me miss THAT age! I loved my Megan at 3!!

sandra said...

Maddy you crack me up.. I love the way you think! Poor Liberty Bear... seriously do you think that is really a "best practice".. let's try to think of an "anticipatory set" for that lesson plan! I love reading your blog!!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee.....you crack me up Maddy! I can hear you telling this story over crack and snickerdoodles and it makes my heart happy! LOL Miss ya!

Meredith said...

I think Lindsay's poster was quite popular - so many teachers and aides came by to check it out. Probably because we made it "together" - that is, with a lot of help from me! It is not too bad - at least she enjoyed it! I promise, 1st grade is a lot less labor intensive!!!

Rickie said...

Man, LIberty Bear sounds high maintenance. But, you are a good mom to go along with all of that. The poster looked really cute. I am cracking up at the pictures of the kids playing the WII. I know the feeling with big purchases. Mike hates to commit and I do, too. It seems like we go in spurts. We are really good for a long time, then we splurge a bit. Can't wait to see your bedroom furniture. I remember when we got our first real furniture for the bedroom, oh, it was so nice!!! I bet you'll totally love it.

Rickie said...

PS. Let's just keep this Wii purchase between you and me, Mike doensn't need to know that Dustin has one.

Lisa Brown said...

Wow - that is a lot for one little bear. I can see why it wasn't the most exciting thing for you :). At least you took one for the team and made it special for Ellie. And Elder Ballard's talk was amazing!!