layout

5/25/2008

It's been awhile. . .

Last night Dustin and I went out on a marathon date -- shopping for a new shirt for him, dinner, then we met up to play laser tag with some super rockin' friends, dessert afterwards. . . and then Dustin decided to go watch UFC and play Rock Band with some friends and I stayed home to crash. I got on to blog and ended up searching everywhere for my camera, gave up and decided just to watch some TV. I was yawning about every 5 seconds when I realized that I was forcing myself to stay up because the house was so quiet. In the end, I had to give up the quiet for sleep. Which is good because Dustin got home at 4 am. So guess who got up with the kids this morning?

So since I can't find the camera, I'll save the picture stories another time and tell you how much I hate cleaning my kids rooms. About once a month, I go through all their toys and make sure everything still works and is sorted properly. Each room takes me a whole day -- probably because Sadie can pull everything out faster than I can put it away, so not much gets done while she's awake. I almost had Ellie's room done on Wednesday when Sadie woke up from her nap, found the sack full of garbage and broken toys, decided it was a purse and dragged it all over the house, dumping trash everywhere.

The depressing part is, by Saturday it was starting to get messy again, so I asked her to clean it up. It was torture of course. She sort of sat there pouting until I broke out the Mama drama. I believe I pulled something like this:
"Do you think I like to clean you room? NO! So why do I do it? Because I love you." Yes, I had to supply my own answers because Ellie was laying on the ground writhing in pain at the notion of cleaning her room. "So you know what it says to me when you don't you clean your room when I ask you? That you don't love me."
Oh yeah, I was that horrible at the guilt. And the room got cleaned.

Thursday was Nate's room -- which is so much easier than Ellie's room. I love that boys don't have Polly Pocket clothes, and barbie shoes, and dress up, and doll house dolls, and baby doll clothes. . . He basically has 3 main categories -- trains, cars and action figures. So I tell Nate we're going to clean up his room. "I don't want to clean my room, that's so boring. Boring. Boring. Boring." Yeah Nate, I know it's boring, I don't find it fun either. So I drag him back to his room and he just sits there. I ask him to help me clean. "No, I just watch you clean my room."

Now why do we torture ourselves into thinking they will help us cleaning willingly and gladly? For instance, a few months ago we told the kids they couldn't have dinner until they cleaned Nate's room. Nate sat around and did nothing and Ellie cried for 2 hours, "We're going to DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE." Finally I had to go in and supervise the cleaning. It took less than ten minutes.

Afterwards Nate was washing his hands and he tells Dustin, "This make mommy happy. Mommy make me happy clean my room." Then he comes out and hugs and kisses me, "Thank you helping me clean my room mommy." And that is why I clean his room for him. Even if it is boring.

10 comments:

Molly said...

Don't you love cleaning your kids rooms??? I'm glad mine aren't the only kids that cry at the thought of picking up their toys! PLease tell me it gets better???

Chelsea said...

I'm with Molly. PLEASE someone tell me it gets better!! I am constantly battling Carter with this. But if it is his idea to clean, then he does it great, fast, and happy! Gotta love kids. Glad he at least loves you for it!

Meredith said...

I have got news for ya...it is not getting any better at my house!!! I just made my kids finally clean their room - something they have not done in 2 1/2 weeks - since before I had the baby! You couldn't see the floor, literally. And, you couldn't see the first layer of toys/clothes/books for the second layer going on top of it! It was bad! But they finally did it saturday morning and didn't even fight.

I had Lindsay make a list of all the categories of things to do: Clothes. Books. Barbies. Ponies. Dress up. Dollies. etc.... then she and Caroline worked down the list that Lindsay made until they were done. this worked pretty well.

Maddy you are so good to go thru their stuff and refresh and renew the organization. I hate doing it. Caroline is my drama queen who writhes on the floor like I have asked her to do the hardest task in the world!

Amber said...

Maddy, I totally sympathize with you! I just cleaned out a bunch of toys and reorganized everything in the boys rooms yesterday and it was the same exact ordeal! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that goes through the drama of picking up the bedrooms! We have them clean up their rooms at the end of the day everyday, so it is nothing new, but we still seem to have the pout outs! Will it ever end!!!!????????????

laura said...

aren't kids fun?! :P

and i don't know if we can be friends any more now that your have admitted that temple of doom is your favorite indiana jones movie!!! what is wrong with you, girl?!?! ;)

Kathleen said...

maddy! can you please come clean my house for me?? you never visit me. i visited you TWICE this year.

love, me

Rickie said...

I love that they thought they were going to STARVE to death.....Some days, I give up. I would clean Nate's room every day for him if he just gave me that cute "I'm Nate" and said thank you helping me clean my room mommy. How can you resist that kid? I don't know, though, Daven has been really into legos lately. Those pretty much are right up there w/ polly pocket shoes. I find them all over the place and I'm constantly stepping on them.

Lisa Brown said...

When do they finally learn how to clean unsupervized? Does it ever happen, because Lily is five and has not grasped it, and it drives me crazy too. Derek just follows behind what I clean, leaving a trail of chaos in his wake. Ahh, motherhood.

Anonymous said...

I remember some pretty messy rooms from someone's childhood... I believe I finally just locked the door. And that doesn't even count the way her room looked during high school. So take heart they do grow up and become shall we say neat freaks! Love you, m's mom

Anonymous said...

Ah ha! Confesssions of the mother of one time was miss messy. I always have to find a nice carrot to dangle this week it was swim party my girlie was invited to. She has also missed the first half of birthday parties. But I do like the you must not love me approach. time to give it a try.
Stiletto.