layout

10/30/2008

Birthday Boy!

Hooray -- the birthdays are over. As usual, this birthday was an exercise in excess. I once told someone that we don't really give our kids birthday presents and they were in shock. I just feel like they get so much stuff anyway and I usually throw them a party -- so that's the gift. So much time and money -- and sanity -- goes into those parties that I think I can get away without a gift. ;p

Tuesday was the party.
In the blistering 95 degree weather, we ate lunch, played at the park, drew race tracks and raced our cars around, raced our race cars in a heated games of Red Light Green Light and Follow the Leader, ate cake and opened presents. Here is the hideous cake for your laughing pleasure. Do you love the scale of the cars? Or the beautiful placement of them? Nate decided they needed to be back to back. And they suggested you use a fork to make the grass look more lifelike. HA HA HA! My grass looks ridiculous. I could spend all day laughing about the cake, but I'll move on! You, however, are more than welcome to join in!

That night he went to bed and I told him when he woke up he would be 4. Then he started crying because, "I really like being 3. After 4, I'll be 3 again?" Nope. I told him, "After 4, you're 5 and then 6 and then 7. . ." Finally I could see he was going to start crying again, so I lied. "And then 9, and then 10. . . and then 3 again." HUGE smile and then he could sleep.

Wednesday was his actual birthday where he was spoiled rotten! We went to the gym, where they made him a birthday crown. Then to his Pre-school Halloween party where they got to wear costumes -- not his actual Halloween costume, just something so he wouldn't melt -- eat pizza for lunch, and trick-or-treat to all the parents. Then to Jackson's to play for the rest of the day followed by more presents from Garndparents and even his Sunbeam teacher, cake and ice cream.

Oh, and this is the part where I admit that I bought him a present anyway. He had a Speed Racer party and he told me that all he really wanted was a Speed Racer car. When we were at Costco I found these giant cars from the movie and gave in. I figured Ellie got her ears pierced this year, so maybe Nate deserved something too.

I should probably write something really sappy about him, but I'm no good at that. Let's just end with one last story. Nate's Halloween costume is size 4-6 so I told him he couldn't wear it until he was 4 because he wouldn't fit into it. First thing he did when we got home from our adventures was grab the costume out of the closet and scream, "IT fits me now!" He hasn't taken it off since. Could this mean the end of the tutu?

17 comments:

Lisa Brown said...

How fun! You throw great parties for your kids. Lily has only had one (when she was 3), so I promised her a party this year when she turns six. I am already having to take calming breaths just thinking about it :).

Holly said...

9, 10, then 3 again huh? Quick thinking! I think the cake looks great:o) And wow...that grass...is amazing! Seriously though, I'm impressed that you made the cake, so props to you! Happy Birthday Nate!

AZ Hey-mon said...

I think the cake turned out AWESOME! Yea for you!

Danika said...

I did that same exact cake for Brandon's 1st birthday. It was my first attempt at a kid cake - so you can imagine how scary it looked! I'm always impressed with people who make their own cakes because I know how hard and time consuming it is. And don't feel bad - I don't buy my kids many presents either. The few they get are from the dollar store or Savers. Are these boys seriously turning 4? It seems like just the other day we were doing swim lessons at Dana's and they were both babies!

Lara Neves said...

Happy Birthday Nate!

I think your cake looks awesome. I just do a plain old boring cake every year.

Also, I think I might follow suit and dispense with presents, if I can get away with it.

Anita said...

I LOVE throwing parties...but yeah they get expensive! It looks like it was awsome. Your kids are lucky to have such a fun Mom:)

Anita said...

I LOVE throwing parties...but yeah they get expensive! It looks like it was awsome. Your kids are lucky to have such a fun Mom:)

Lisa said...

oh my gosh. that is so cute. but you weren't lying. all men are basically 3 year olds!!! ha ha

m = michelle said...

SHUT UP! seriously? nate is four? FOUR???? good lord, I thought your friends children aged slower!

and I LOVE the cake. Did you really bake that? and decorate it all by yourself? You better be careful and not let Dustin know you like know where the kitchen is. I mean other than to sweep it!

Love you all!!! Happy Birthday Nate!!!!!

Burwell's Bits said...

Good work on the cake and I will kepp my fingers crossed that he is willing to get over the tutu.

Kathleen said...

was elise seriously the only girl?? no wonder she didn't have any fun!

the kid on the right of nate in the costume pic-- is he an old man or a hobo?

maddy, the cake looks AWESOME! i am SO proud of you!! i don't know how i feel about black icing but i don't think a white track would have achieved the same beauty.

i cannot believe your baby boy is four-- soon even the tutu will be a distant memory.

Kaelene said...

Maddy -- don't let your perfectionist side take over your creative side! That cake RAWKS!!! Seriously . . . I think you did a GREAT job of forking up your grass . . . It looks real to me. Seriously impressed with your skee-illz!
You are such a fun mom . . .

Dave, Bonnie, and Taten said...

Happy Birthday Nate!! I can't believe he is 4 already. I think that your cake turned out great too. I am sure that Nate loved it.

Molly said...

I love the cake! I am seriously impressed, I could never do that well. Looksl ike Nate had a great birthday! I saw those Speed Racer cars, they were a good deal so I think it was ok that you got it for him!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly believe our little boy is four! I still remember the first time I held him, how tiny he was! I love that boy is a delight! I will never forget the night after Lola got married and he was jumping on the bed when his mom walked in the door. Caught in mid-jump, he scrambled to get under the covers. When you asked him if you were happy or mad and he responded, "I'll go pee in the potty? That will make you happy?" And at that, he ran off to the bathroom. I thought we would die laughing! What would we do with out Nate? We wouldn't know that dinosaurs bite your butt and eat your poop! Or that underwear, poo and potty are the funniest words in the English language! Happy Birthday Natter tatter! Never grow up!

Rogers said...

I am impressed you even tried to decorate the cake! My kids get sam's club cupcakes or the free cakes you can get at Basha's on their birthday!
Happy Birthday Nate! I sure do miss you. Your primary and preschool teacher are always bragging that they get to see you!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The Bullocks said...

Well happy birthday Nate. He is so adroable.
I can't wait to see all of your costumes. I saw your costume on face book I loved it.
oh and I totally agree with you. My kids get so spoiled between their party and grandparents that I dont' think they need any more presents. I think the party kind of is their present. (I usually do end up getting them something because I have no self control, but it is a good thought)