layout

12/31/2008

Christmas Day

It's only appropriate to blog about Christmas now that all my Christmas stuff is put away.

First thing Nate did when Dustin woke him up was come running back into the bedroom where the rest of us were all nestled all snug in our beds yelling, "MOM!!!!! Santa brought two bikes!!! A red one and a pink one." ARGH! Thanks for spoiling the surprise for your sister. Oh well, at least he was excited.

I was super proud of myself this year because for the first time EVER, I feel like I didn't go completely over board on presents. We decided each of the kids would get one gift from Santa, plus some books from Mrs. Claus, one gift from us, and then one gift from each sibling. Once you added in stockings,gifts from Grandparents, cousins, Aunts and Uncles -- they still got plenty of stuff.

You wouldn't even know Sadie got presents because she wouldn't even open them. Once she found the chocolate in her stockings, she was done. My parents got her Rose Petal Cottage and the first thing she did was open the oven, "Where are the cookies?" When none could be found, she put all her half eaten chocolates in there.

If you asked Nate what his favorite toy was, he would say, "All of them." He was especially excited for his Transformers. After a week of practice, I'm actually really good at transforming them back and forth, but Nate says my Transformer voices stink. Sadie bought him some boy dress-up after Halloween. When he opened them he was so excited, "You bought me these so I don't have to wear girl dress up anymore???" Oh yeah honey, because we forced you to wear that pink tutu for 2 years.

Ellie got a lot of clothes/jewelry/shoes/purses. . . all that big girl stuff. She was super super excited to open up my sister's gift -- the one thing she had been begging for and I SWORE I was not buying her -- Puppy Grows and Knows Your Name. The dog has springs in it so it grows a little big everyday and you hook it up to your computer so it learned Ellie's name. It will say things like, "Thanks for naming me Candy, Ellie."

After breakfast burritos -- per Rogers family tradition, you can tell he grew up with all boys, no sweets to be found -- we took the kids out to ride their new bikes and scooters and scooters. I love Arizona weather on Christmas day!!! My kids have been out with the neighbors on their bikes every.single.day.
Nate STILL hasn't gotten that haircut.
before he rode his bike he INSISTED on getting all his gear on.

Sadie brought out her doll stroller from Grandma and Papa Rogers. Our kids were so sweet and so grateful for every gift. I love how excited little kids get over everything. As always -- a perfect Christmas Day.

13 comments:

Lara Neves said...

This year I went way overboard. Last year I didn't. What's up with that?

Looks like a wonderful day! I miss AZ weather on Christmas. No scooter riding for us...she'll have to wait till spring to ride her favorite gift, unless you count riding it around the kitchen banging into the table every second.

Kathleen said...

may i cut nate's hair when i come?

ellie looks TOO OLD on that bike, i want to shrink her back to baby size and keep her forever. why is she getting so old?

Kathleen said...

p.s. why did sadie allow george to ride in her doll stroller? babies only please.

Kathleen said...

p.p.s. does nate have on KNEE PADS? on a bike? why did you even buy him knee pads for a bike?

Brenda Janda said...

Great visiting last night. I missed Christmas with the little ones. Mitch and Morgan had already picked there gifts. Plus it was fun buying lots of little things that added up. Now one thing and thats there gift. HEHE
Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

hurray! for trying to rein in some of the excess. and they'll appreciate all the more the things they do get. nice idea!

Rach said...

I am so jealous of your weather. My son got a skateboard for Christmas and we were like "Well you can use that next spring." You'll get super good at the transformer thing and pretty soon you will be an expert with legos too. I love that Rose Petal Cottage, it's so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love those kids! They are great! Can hardly wait to watch them ride their bikes and push the stroller! Maybe we can make some real cookies for the rose petal cottage! Love you all!

Unknown said...

Such cute photos, Maddy! It looks like you had a great day! Happy New Year!!

Sherrie said...

It sounds like you had a great Christmas. Love the jammies photo. Have a wonderful new year my dear friend!

The Tyler's said...

Christmas looked amazing at the Rogers house! I so know how you feel with all the gifts for the kids. After all the gifts from grandparents..why do I even by them anything??
It's 9:30 and I'm so bored but I guess it beats sleeping in the snow!! Suckers!

Chelsea said...

I am so excited for Nate to enjoy true boyhood in a house of girls. I am still rooting for a baby brother :)
We were all about not overdoing the gifts. And I think Carter knows too, because his list was so simple!

Lisa said...

so glad you all enjoyed christmas!! love the pics!