layout

12/01/2008

This is going to get long

I've been pretty much MIA for awhile since we've had a plethora of company at Casa Rogers. I like to call it, National Lampoon's Thanksgiving Holiday -- complete with camper and everything!

Dustin's parents flew in last Saturday and by Thursday we had picked up a few more brothers and their families. In an effort to accommodate everyone, Doug -- Dustin's oldest brother -- brought his camper and parked it our front so we could all hang out as much as possible.

You all know how the weekend was, so I'll pick up with Tuesday. I took Cheryl to the spa for her Christmas gift. It was a sacrifice I tell you! We got hour long massages, then hour long facials, then a long lunch followed by pedicures. I did not want to leave, but I did have to make it home to pick the kids up from school. Yes, that literally took the entire day.

It even rained that day. I thought Ben was so cute when he came to pick up Ellie at the door with his umbrella.

Grandma also broke out the pillow cases she made for everyone, which led to a hallway sleepover. I don't know why they couldn't sleep somewhere softer.

Wednesday was cook-cook-everything-we-can-before-Thanksgiving and pie-making day. According to Nate, he loves pie. I couldn't think of the last time he had pie, but he loves it and blueberry pie is his favorite. Luckily Grandma Rogers is a skilled pie maker and also a sucker for a cute face.

Ellie picked out caramel apple nutty pie, but we got a plain apple pie out of the deal as well. Two pies for one request!

Thursday I got the privilege of hosting my first Thanksgiving without having to do any of the work. Between everyone we divided up the food and Dustin made the stuffing and veggies. Everything was really yummy and Sadie ate a dinner almost entirely of Trader Joe's cranberry sauce and rolls.

We also browsed the Black Friday ads and played some Rock Band


I guess some people went out early for Black Friday, but I slept in until after 8 and only braved the crowds later that afternoon. I didn't even buy anything. Casey and Sarah were trying to find an Iron Man DVD for her sister for Christmas and we couldn't find on at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. We headed over to Target and the DVD area was a MESS! Couldn't find one stinking DVD left and people are pushing and shoving everywhere you turn. So we decided to browse through the rest of the store and then head out. On the way out we're walking past the check-out stands and there is an entire display of Iron Man DVDs. Neatly stacked and completely untouched.

We also got a tour of the Arizona Train Museum. Nate was in HEAVEN! When we left he threw a huge hissy fit because he wanted to "Stay there forever and drive the train."The brave souls willing to be in a picture. I can't believe I climbed up into that engine with my kids, but I did.

We also tried out Joe's Farm Grill as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. So so yummy. Although Dustin got the Thai Chicken salad -- blech. I guess he should have known better.

The rest of the weekend we fit in some Saboteur-- complete with a fabulous Maddy spazz out, a lot of MarioKart, Ellie made a bazillion Miis, Uncle Casey had to read the Pigeon books a few hundred times, some more shopping, lots of eating, a broken toilet seat, ELF, putting the Christmas lights on the house. .. and a trip to the ER.

Sadie busted her chin open while playing in the garage -- she fell over backwards on the umbroller -- and had to be whisked away. Nate and Ellie actually cried more than Sadie did. She came home with a Belle sticker and Casey and Sarah had bought her the Pigeon stuffed animal from the pigeon books. Nate really wanted the pigeon because after all, the pigeon is blue, so he must be a boy, but I told him he could have a present when he had to get stitches. He then ran around for the next few hours telling us he hurt his wrist the night before.

WOW -- that was long and now I'm really hungry thinking about all the good food!

19 comments:

Danika said...

We've been meaning to get over to the Train Museum. I'm afraid I'll never get my boys out of there! Have you been up to McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park in Scottsdale? It's awesome - especially their holiday lights.

I've never heard of Joe's Farm Grill - thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear Sadie split her chin open & got stitches. Looks just like Tyler's from July! Good luck getting her to leave it alone...

Lara Neves said...

Poor Sadie.

But what a wonderful week! Looks like lots of fun!

Kaelene said...

It does sound like you had a great week! Family time is always worth the memories!

Meredith said...

So glad you had a great weekend! I was a little worried after Wednesday - good thing your mother in law is such a great baker! Poor Sadie - kiddos getting hurt that is something more than a microscopic scratch "requiring" a band aid is so sad.

Amber said...

Poor Sadie girl! Sounds like you had a busy, but fun time with all the fam! I love Joes Farm Grill...There sweet potatoe fries..YUM YUM!

I am sooo loving all the lights on our street! I love pulling around the corner at night to see the whole street lit up!

m = michelle said...

gotta ask...how many stitches??? :) oh yeah, and POOOOOOR SADIE!!! man that sounded bad, I really wan't being insincere!
really!

Unknown said...

It sounds like a fun week! Well, minus the stitches part... ;)

Kathleen said...

looks like fun! i wish i could see the camper. i'm really jealous of sarah holding sadie. how many stitches did she get?? cheryl looks WAY skinny!!

Anonymous said...

oooh, poor sadie. and nate and ellie for that matter. the buddha had it right, life is suffering. but glad to see you're not clinging.

Rogers said...

What great family memories! Now you can move on to Christmas cooking and baking.

Shauna-Lou said...

Awwwe! Looks like you guys had lots of fun! Sorry we missed it :)

Megan said...

Wow what a fun and busy week! That last picture of Sadie is so sad! We LOVE the pigeon books too.

Kerry said...

I love the run down of your Thanksgiving weekend!

I swear I have to laugh at Nate, he sounds just like matthew. The trains, the obsession with blue... lol!

Poor Sadie! She looks so sad!

AZ Hey-mon said...

I love the sleepover in the hall on the tile floor. Did they really stay there all night. Looks like a fun filled weekend with LOTs of family.

Lisa said...

sounds like a good time. except for the ER-Sadie-busted-her-chin-open.

Chelsea said...

Poor girlie. But I really think my favorite picture is of Ben and Ellie. I love Ben. And Ellie looks so cute with her coat.
And I want to know too...did they really sleep on the tile all night? I guess it would keep you cool if it were hot in the house. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like a full weekend! I love Sadie's rocker chick look with the hoodie while playing rock band! I think that I cried more than Sadie did when I saw her little chinny chin chin! And those pies really look yummy! Although we missed you it sure looks like a great time was had by all! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Tracie Farmer, I live in Las Vegas, and we have a mutual friend her name is Shanna Vineyard (some of us know her as Shanna Lamb).

I have an idea and I am hoping for just a bit of help. I have been friends with Shanna for over 14 years, she is one of my greatest lifelines. I check in with Shanna daily through one of her blogs, Etsy shop, or send /receive emails daily. She is one of my most creative, hilarious, Dr. Pepper addicted friends I have. And yes she will probably kill me. But the crumbiest thing has happened, her computer crashed last weekend, and as many of you have noticed POOF no Shanna :(. I know how upset she has been about having to treck down to the library, and heaven knows when she has the time with a new baby, 5 girls and the childcare kiddos. I am missing the "Shanna Vineyard" element in my life.

In light of this holiday season I have decided to forego sending Shanna a Christmas card and instead I am going to send a little computer donation of 4 or 5 bucks to her Paypal account.

Maybe, just maybe if enough of us do this we can save a few trees and get Shanna back to blogging and posting some beautiful cards and craft ideas.

Please respond if you have any better ideas or tips, and forward this to anyone you know that loves our dear friend Shanna.

I hope there aren't any objections and hopefully this can be a sweet surprise the next time she trecks to the library and signs into her Paypal account!!!
All you need to do is make a payment at www.paypal.com to Shannalamb@cox.net.

God Bless
Happy Holidays
Tracie Farmer
(Shanna's friend from Vegas)

Lisa Brown said...

That spa day sounds fabulous! It sounds like a wild but wonderful weekend :). And my kids would die for a stuffed pigeon - how awesome that you found one.