layout

1/03/2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

Actually, that is a complete lie. The weather has been gorgeous here this week. It's my clever way of being smug because I have been here enjoying an Arizona winter and my husband has been freezing his tush off "snow camping" with the YM. I've only heard bits and pieces from moms/wives but I do know a couple of boys came home early, one was up all night throwing up and one broke his wrist -- poor Janda boys. Welcome to YMs Dustin -- I think he'd like to be released now ;p Although, I did hear from someone that those who stayed were having a blast. We'll get the scoop this afternoon.

I should also mention that my kids told me TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW that my food was, "as good as Daddy's." No lie people. And so here is my secret.
1. Call sister whinning that Dustin has left absolutely no food in the house and I don't want to go to the store.
2. Rattle off entire contents of fridge, freezer and pantry and have her laugh at me because there really is no food in the house.
3. Make pancakes per my sister's suggestion with whole wheat flour because that's all we have.
4. Pancakes do not taste yummy -- lather with buttermilk syrup we were given as a gift
5. Kids eat 12 pancakes between the 3 of them and RAVE!
6. Throw in turkey bacon for protein.
7. Repeat whinning the next night.
8. Borrow tortilla chips from neighbor and cover in salsa, sour cream and velveeta cheese -- none for Nate because as we all remember: he hates cheese. My sister hates tomatoes. Then watch kids ask for THIRDS!
9. Add in black beans and ground beef for protein.

So basically my secret to getting my kids to eat: buttermilk syrup and sour cream.

Anyway, back to my "cold" theme going on here. You know when it was cold? Last week. BRRR! The few days before Christmas were rainy so the Haymond's Christmas party was rescheduled for clearer skies. My kids were devastated, but finally the day after Christmas was beautiful and we bundled up for the party.

They have hot cocoa and cookies and her dad takes everyone caroling around their neighborhood on a hay ride. It was so much fun and my kids loved it. In preparation for being out in the 50 degree weather I dressed my kids in 2 layers of pants, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, coats from my sister's wedding, hats, scarves, gloves, knee socks and boots. Then I realized they were going to melt in the car ride over. I am glad we don't live in the cold weather. Especially because 50 degrees is probably pretty warm for an evening elsewhere like Virginia, where my sister lives.

I think Ellie went on every single hay ride, so she had to do drive through to get to her cookies. I wonder what kind of cookie my sister would have eaten?
Nate got to hang out with his best friend, Daven, so he was happy as could be. Looks like Daven is a BLANKET HOG!! My sister is also a blanket hog. Sadie would yell, "HAY RIDE" and run over and try and get on herself. Then she would bounce and sing the entire ride.

And so that is what we do when it's cold outside in sunny AZ.
* parts of this post were edited to appease my sister who is coming to visit in two days.

14 comments:

Brenda Janda said...

Good blog Maddie. My boys made it home and said it was fun. Can't wait to hear Kyle's version. Mom's like me do appreciate the YM presidency even if the families suffer. A quiet night with no teenagers was quite strange.

AZ Hey-mon said...

I am glad that your family had so much fun. We have tons of fun doing it. Ellie, Chloe and Taylor sang on the last ride the WHOLE time, most of it the 12 days of Christmas, as loud as 3 cute little girls could possibly sing.

Maddy said...

I just feel bad for your boys! It will definitely be fun to hear what Kyle says. Kate and I were laughing trying to figure out who was even left up there -- I was pretty sure it was only the adults and they were getting a hotel and going skiing the next day. But I guess they had over 25 up there, so a few casualties could be spared. Jay said everyone else as having fun.

Meanwhile poor Kate was back at home trying to get rosters and classroom assignments figured out until late last night. I bet you miss those days ;p

Holly said...

When I saw the title of this post, my instant thought was, "Seriously? Cold? You've got to be kidding me!!!" Glad you know that 50 degrees would actually be a dream come true for me:o)

Kathleen said...

i think you should point out I am the one who suggested the pancakes and told you what to do missy!

also, i am living the coats they used for MY wedding.

this post is subliminally about me i think since there is NO MENTION of MY visit in two days!

Kathleen said...

i meant loving not living.

and you should mention you had PLENTY of things to make but you REFUSE to touch raw meat.

Rickie said...

Hey Maddy, your blog is so cute. I'm so glad you are so good at keeping it updated. I enjoyed reading all about your Christmas last night. Sounds like it was so fun.

Your cooking story is hillarious. I hope Dustin survived the cold.

Rach said...

Again, jealous of your weather, it is supposed to be horrible here this afternoon and tomorrow. I can get my kids to eat almost anything by covering it in lots and lots of cheese. I'll have to try sour cream next time too!

Anonymous said...

Ah! It looks like you had a great time at the party -- even if you did have to pretend that it was cold. Did we mention that is 29 degrees here and with the windchill about 18 degrees. Sure hope that Dustin survived the camping trip. It was so fun talking to Ellie yesterday -- she sounded to grown-up! I miss my babies so much ;.( Love you!

Lara Neves said...

Thanks for the recipes! :)

Lisa said...

i know your kids did not say your food was as good as daddy's. that coudln't be right!! HA HA i need sadie to come live with me!! she is so cute!!!!

Kathleen said...

favorite edit: my sister is also a blanket hog!!

BHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Anonymous said...

hmmm. i remember once fixing dinner for you and your sister when mom was gone. you had SECONDS and loved it. but somehow thereafter you turned on me and have tried ever since to tell how horrible it was. but you couldn't get enough at the time. beware, the worm may turn on you!

Lisa Brown said...

50 degrees is cold for me too. It was 80 here on Christmas, and I loved every minute of it :). It is good you have the coats. I had to buy a winter coat for Lily just for the 2 weeks it was in the 40's here.