layout

1/05/2009

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

School starts back up tomorrow and can you guess what we spent our day doing? Getting haircuts! OK, just Nate, but after I tried to style his hair and he looked a little too much like Robert Pattinson, I did make sure he got a haircut this morning. The highlight of the day was riding horses! Karen's parents own two of the sweetest ponies ever and invited my kids over to spend some time on their little mini-farm.

Ellie may have been the first to actually get on a horse, but she definitely wasn't the bravest of the day. Please note her "I'm Going to Die" smile. She got really good on the ponies and even was able to get on herself by the end. That's my cowgirl! Not so brave when I put her sister up there with her. Sadie's problem was being TOO brave. We put her on a pony and off she went without even holding onto the saddle, so she ended up having to always ride with another person.

Nate had no desire to ride the horses until I put him up there and then he was HOOKED! Nate is pretty well known for despising animals and nature in general, but he LOVED their house. He was climbing treesfeeding chickens out of his hand even HOLDING the chickens
Sadie, on the other hand, is well known for her adventurous spirit, so she had no problem getting down and dirty with the animals from the minute we got there. She spent a lot of time mooching rides with the other kids And when she couldn't ride the horses, she rode the dog. I was worried about the chickens' safety, though, since the first thing she did was grab their little faces.
My kids favorite part was doing "The Trick." Basically while on the pony, you ride under a bar and grab onto it. While the pony keeps going, you slide ride off her back and fly through the air with the greatest of ease.
The first few times required a little assistance, but by the end the kids were doing it all by themselves! One time Nate was just hanging there because we forgot he needed help getting down.
At the end even Karen and I went for a little ride. Except the ponies were a little tired and spent most of the ride trotting us back to the barn. Also, I am allergic to horses. REALLY REALLY allergic and I looked like a swollen strawberry by the time I got home. Time to shower.

Thanks for the fun day guys!!!

17 comments:

Casey said...

How fun!! And I love Nate's haircut!

Anonymous said...

incredible. just incredible. one of their grandmas won't touch chicken under any circumstances! brave kiddos! yeah!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah what a fun day! I would love to have been there to watch all the kids! Those are some chickens to sit quietly while Sadie loved them! What sweeties those ponies are! I love it!

Love you all! And have fun with Lola!

Chelsea said...

Good luck with the allergies. Cody is super allergic to them too, which is funny since he comes from all true cowboy blood. You and Karen look natural on the horses. I expect wranglers and Justin's next time I see you two.
Nate's hair is cute too...although it would have been nice to see it all robert patterson'd poofy style.

Lisa said...

kerry is going to be so jealous. i love my little sadie. ok--i love all your kids--but i want sadie!!!

Launa Nicole said...

Your kids are so adorable. How do you do it all? When are you due again?

Lara Neves said...

Looks like a wonderful day! I love riding horses! I love Sadie's hair.

Rach said...

So fun!! My kids love going to farms too, except they never touch the chickens, Chickens freak all of my kids out, they like to shoot marshmallows at them though with a marshmallow gun. I love the picture of Ellie on the horse with her "I'm going to die" smile!

The Tyler's said...

I can really appreciate this post. I'm a real cowgirl at heart. That makes me want to get my kids some boots and get them on a horse. I love it all!

Kaelene said...

I have said it before, and I will say it again . . . you are just a dang fun mom! Not only do you have all these activities for your kids, but you enjoy them too!
Thanks for sharing the fun day with us! ♥

Arlene said...

KAREN'S PARENTS HAVE A FARM?!?! She is soooooooooo busted! You got some good shots of her skills. Way to go. :)

Lisa Brown said...

How much fun! My kids would have loved that, but I think Derek might have tried to leap from the moving horse without the bar. Lily's cousins in Idaho have a pony, and it is her favorite thing. Sorry about your allergies though - what we sacrifice for our kids :).

Sara said...

Man, I want to do "The Trick"!

Unknown said...

Kids and ponies--nothing better! Sadie is getting so much hair. She looks so cute and she looks so much like you ;D Oh, and I love your link to Robert Patterson (EDWARD! I love you!) You might want to check on this, but I think it is actually Robert Pattinson--I'm pretty sure. IMDB--baby ;D love ya

Rickie said...

Ah, Sadie, never afraid to try anything. I'm loving the pictures of Nate with all the animals. That is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maddy! It's Kathleen's friend Kerry. I created a blog a long time ago, but am too lazy to figure out the password!

I love Sadie's and Ellie's hair! I feel like I should take note from your kids and figure out how to style myself:)

I hope you and Kathleen had a blast this last week! Take care!

Maddy said...

Thanks for the heads up Kasia!