layout

1/25/2009

Sad Sunday aka wallowing in self-pity

My sister was bugging me because I hadn't updated in awhile. I think I'm trying to forget the week even happened. Ranging from my crazy mommy moment where I emptied the contents of Ellie's closet into the hall it had something to do with wearing 4 different outfits that day which were mingled among the outfits she didn't chose on the floor to the 8 shots at the Doctor Nate is STILL crying over those to Nate's choking incident He and Ellie had refused to eat dinner, but they smuggled cereal into my closet where he promptly choked on a piece. Lesson learned?? Probably not and oh so many more non-memorable moments.

Yesterday was the icing on the cake: 8 hours to clean Nate's room, Ellie's room and the Playroom. I could have done the job in about 30 minutes, but since I'm trying to produce functioning members of society, I asked the kids to do it. I even started out with the whole, "Hey, you're going to have to clean it no matter how much you cry and no matter how long it takes, so let's skip the whining, hurry up and do something fun today," speech. Instead of doing something fun I managed to clean the kitchen, hand clean the floors, clean all the crumbs out of the drawers, straighten my cabinets, re-organize the pantry, clean out the fridge, empty the junk drawer, sort mail, clean the bathroom, organize the girls' hair stuff, do a load of laundry, read a few chapters in a book, watch a TV show, dink around on the internet. . . So yeah, I need some tips on how to motivate my kids to pick up.

Today is going to be really really sad though. Last week, I was released as Primary President. It had been a long time and Dustin had recently been called to be YM's President, so I knew it was coming, but still bittersweet. There are going to be a lot of things I won't miss, but I'm definitely going to miss the kids. I don't know how I am going to make it through Church today just sitting there for the whole 3 hours. Do adults say funny things in Sunday School? Are there going to be colorful visual aids? Will we get a wiggle song in Relief Society? Will someone want to sit in my lap? Need me to take them on a potty break? Can I sneak out for a snack in Nursery? In case I haven't proven my point -- Primary is the place to be!!

And I don't think they're letting me out of Jury Duty on Tuesday. WAAAHHHH.

But since I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, let's end this thing on a positive note! I did have some awesome girl time this week. Temple night and dinner with my best neighbors/friends, sanity-restoring lunch out with sympathetic friends, and Friday at the park with more tmi-sharing girlfriends -- so no pity necessary. Annnnnnnd, tomorrow is my ultra-sound! Send BOY vibes and yes, I know the sex has already been determined, so it does no good, but if you're a good friend you'll do it anyway.

20 comments:

Mamacita said...

We'll miss you so much! Stop by for a snack or a wiggle song anytime. Have fun with the big people! Think boy!!

lynette said...

i'm sending my boy vibes---you definitely need something positive after a week like that!

m = michelle said...

okay, wait. forget the back week, what's with the owl blog? I thought you hated the owl thing as much as me? or is that butterflies...no that's kerry. Birds? no me again. maybe it is just me.

Sorry you had a frustrating week!But hey! at least your drawers are crumb free (okay that sounds crazy)

Megan said...

Wow, what a week! Releases are always bittersweet. Primary is the place to be and I don't know what I would do if I had to actually sit and listen for 3 hours of church.
Hope the ultrasound goes well tomorrow.

m = michelle said...

that owl is pretty cute though, SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell. I'll deny it if you do :)

Danika said...

Always tough to be released. I cried for months after being released from YW.

I'm a pro at the Jury Duty thing (unfortunately). Play the pregnancy card HEAVY. Tell them you will need lots of snack & potty breaks - like EVERY HOUR. I think that's what got me not chosen the last time!

Lara Neves said...

My kids do the same thing. I swear. i cannot beLIEVE how long it takes them to clean their room, nor can I believe how quickly all their work is undone. Will they never learn?

Sending boy vibes, and get out of jury duty vibes, and hugs to get you through the lack of Primary, too.

Meredith said...

Boy vibes...boy vibes....good luck with that! I am not sure I am capable of sending such vibes. We don't make boys around here.

Kids and motivation - mine are FINALLY starting to get it (at least Lindsay.) Have a family tragedy and be really sad. It gets them going without wanting to cross mommy.

Kathleen said...

i'm sending girl vibes. i would rather have a friend for sadie. sorry!

Rach said...

Sorry about the rough week. If you find a way to get your kids to clean quickly, let me know because I have been trying to figure it out for about 5 years now. I'll send boy vibes, but if it turns out to be a girl then I will trade you one of my boys!! =)

Chelsea said...

Dear Debbie,
Whooo do I love? You. Because you are my best bestie. I love how real you are. Keep up the good work.
You know you are getting my huge boy vibes from this house hold. I can't wait to hear what it is! I don't mean "it" as in 'the it', but "it" as in the results. Kapeche? Kapeesh? How do you spell it? Capeesh? I hate this red squigly line!!
Good luck with getting out of jury duty. I liked the snack and potty break hourly idea. And cry a lot. I am sure they don't want an emotional juror. Knock on every single stinkin piece of wood around you, but I have never been asked to do jury duty! All my siblings that have had to do it get let go quick though. My uncle was a police officer killed on the line of duty by a drunk driver and so they get booted out quick. Cross my fingers the same would happen for me. Hey, since you adopted me into your family does that mean you get to pull out this sympathy card then too?! GOOD LUCK!
Love, Bestest Bestie.

Anonymous said...

boy vibes, boy vibes....or girl! gee, can't get the kids to clean their rooms. my, oh my, oh my... good luck with jury duty! would be a nice break, no? who babysits your kids???

Lisa said...

hornery, stinky, fist-fighting, loud gun and truck crashing sound vibes all heading your way.

and adults do say funny things in sunday school--but they don't mean to and you cant laugh! HA

and i LOVE the owl blog!

Kaelene said...

I have to agree with Lisa about adults in Sunday School . . . just make sure you have a friend to sit with, and you can snicker quietly together!
Michelle, I think it is I whooooo am in the "Yukky owls" club with you!!! But, that one IS pretty cute!!
Boy vibes, boy vibes, boy vibes, boy vibes! Good luck, darlin'!

swampbaby said...

I hope you survived today! I can't stand it when we go out of town and I have to go to the grown-up classes. Boooorrrriiiinnnnggg. But I am sure you will be snatched up and put to work somewhere else really soon!

Can't wait to hear what you're having tomorrow! My appt. got changed to Wed. so I'll be letting you know soon.

AZ Hey-mon said...

lemme hear ya say BOY say BOY!
The only time I actually was gonna have to do jury duty with no excuse out of it, they didn't need me when I called the night before. Maybe that can be you... If not you know where I live.

Anita said...

Congrats on getting released from primary! I remember when the bishop called me in to release me from YW and I totally CRIED! But it took me all of two days to feel sweet RELIEF!! Enjoy your time off before you get called to something else...:)

Burwell's Bits said...

Do you need chocolate???? Good luck tomorrow. Boy, boy, boy, boy........

Casey said...

Penis vibes are on the way.............if someone hadn't read the original post then this comment would seem soooooo inappropriate.

Lisa Brown said...

I have those moments too, and I wish I could find a way for my kids to listen to me without me having to almost yell. It is frustrating, especially when you really do want them to get their stuff done so they can have fun. Lily will collapse on the floor and say she is too tired. It drives me insane.

How did you do with all the sitting? That was one of the hardest things after I got released from the Primary Presidency. Luckily i was called straight into the YW presidency, and so even though I wasn't with the kids, it was an easier transition than going straight to RS. It will take a while though. i still miss those kids, but I know I am were i am supposed to be.

Here's to a happier week :).