layout

8/09/2007

It's a long one

I have had my first rite of passage -- my daughter had to pull a stick at school. ACK! I can't believe it. When she came home with the note, I was mortified. And do you want to know what she was doing -- playing in the bathroom with her friend. They were peeking under the stalls and talking to each other. Her reprimand went something like this, "ELLIE! There is PEE on that floor." Ellie then explains to me that if there was pee on the floor she would have seen it. "It could be DRIED PEE! So there are pee GERMS." She then had to write an apology note to her teacher.

So tonight was Curriculum night at the school and I'm so embarrassed to go because I'm sure her teacher is thinking that I'm the slacker mom that never had the "we-don't-peek-under-the-bathroom-stalls" talk with my daughter, mainly because I never thought I would have to. The teacher launches into her discipline plan and starts talking about sticks and a couple of parents I know start whispernig their horror of finding that their child had lost a stick already.

I can't even tell you the relief I felt knowing that I wasn't alone. One little boy got a stick pulled for hitting someone. His dad asked him if he felt bad and he said, "It wasn't even that hard!" Another little boy told some kid to get in line or he'd punch him in the face. And of course Ellie's little parnter in crime in the bathroom got her stick pulled too. And these are all good kids.

So that is our Ellie school story for the week. Also, tomorrow is her first play date with a friend from school. Her mom volunteered to be room mom, though, so it sounds like she's an over achiever. We'll get along just fine :p. She and Ellie are best buds and so cute together. I'm so glad she's found a good friend. Oh, and Chelsea, I met Chelsea tonight. She said Ellie and Chandler can talk each other's heads off at lunch.

Nate is still hacking away. He's actually sleeping, though, so that's a good thing. He is also obsessed with earning an Edward train -- from the Thomas series. I told him when his *sparkle jar* was full, he could go get one, but he can't seem to think of anything else. Everytime he wakes up or suddenly sees me again after a short break he asks if we're going to the store to buy Edward. He's about 2-3 weeks away from earning it, so this is probably going to drive me crazy. It is literally the first thing out of his mouth each morning, "We go to store? Buy Edward?"

I left Sadie for one of her first times ever tonight. It was with Jill, my FABO neighbor, who was so awesome to take my kids. If I was going to trust anyone with Sadie for the first time, Jill was the perfect person. She is just so laid back and low key so I knew Sadie would love her, and that even if Sadie cried the entire time Jill wouldn't mind. Of course she did great! Sadie's a champ.

And so don't kill me for making you read this whole thing and not having any pictures!

11 comments:

laura said...

ok, i have to tell you that i actually LOL at ellie's pee story! that was worth losing a stick! :D

sorry nate isn't feeling well!

Kerry said...

*giggle* I like Ellie's story. That is funny.

You can't blame yourself because I'm sure you've had that talk. Something gets into these little ones when mom isn't around.

Freedom. Or what they think is freedom.

I found out that Matthew got in trouble for having a water fight with another boy yesterday. Apparently they were both at the water fountain - which has three things to drink from, and each one has a lot of pressure resulting in a good 12 inch arc of water if you push the button hard enough.

If *I* know this, don't you think boys will figure that out and think it is hysterical????

So the boys were pushing the buttons hard, and splashing each other with the stream of water.

All you can do is shake your head and laugh. And be grateful that it wasn't for something worse! LOL!

Now I'm wondering if I should teach Matthew the trick about sticking gum in the fountain so it squirts on the next unsuspecting person. Heehee!

kindergarten rocks.

Anonymous said...

I don't get the whole "losing a stick" thing other than assume that they are given a certain amount of sticks and only have that many to lose? Then what?
I say let's have Ellie push the envelope and then we'll all know what then what is! Sorry. Bad influence. Just look at her. How on earth could that angel do anything seriously bad. Just show the teacher the picture of her crying the first day of school (BTW, my favorite picture ever). You won't need to say anything else. Just hold up the picture.

Kerry said...

Don't we have like a million sticks from our birthday yard art? Just send a few to school everyday with Ellie. She'll have more than the whole class and she can tell everybody she is super good.

And I like June's idea too. I'm curious as to what happens when they lose all of their sticks. Will the world stop revolving? ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't stop laughing! I remember when my little girl got detention for throwing spit balls at the boys in her 7th grade class! And what is this pulling the stick thing -- Dad thinks it's like "pull my finger?"

Love ya! M's Mom

Maddy said...

OK, so I had to go see what happens when you lose all of your sticks since I assumed it would never happen. ACK! You get three sticks to start the day. You get one warning, and then you lose your first stick and 5 minutes of recess. After the 2nd stick is taken away, you lose 1o minutes, and the 3rd stick means you lose all of your recess and a phone call home. Dun dun dun!

Ammon said...

Carly crawls around on the bathroom floor all the time when we're out. Eeww! She says the same thing as Ellie,
"If there was pee-pee or poop on the floor, I'd see it, Mooommm!"
Thank goodness for antibacterial sanitizers!

Chelsea said...

I am so glad you met Chelsea. I am jealous you got to see them. Ahh...pitty party tonight. :)
I want to know more about the sparkle jar. We are trying to teach Carter that everytime we go to Wal Mart or Target you always don't get a treat or suprise. Blog about it one day. :)

Lisa Brown said...

Such a funny story about Ellie at school - and I totally would have felt the same way. Did you really think there was a need for that discussion? He he! I have decided that no matter what we teach our kids, they will somehow do something we forgot to mention. Oh well. We do the best we can :).

Janel said...

One little kinder girl I know (and I got this straight from the mom) gets at least one stick pulled daily. Apparently she keeps punching other kids. She looked at her mother and said "Mom, its not me, its this other girl who looks JUST like me!!!" I about died laughing, that was a good one. Wyatt got a stick pulled last week for hitting people with his empty lunch box. I know, he's a real hooligan. It does make him much more proud of the happy grams though, not htat he's seen the "dark side" :D

Lisa said...

first ellie gets a stick pulled, then she's in juvie and the next thing you know she's doing hard time! my kids have "cards" that get pulled. anna keeps telling me that she hasn't got a card pulled yet (first week). her and her friend natalie got a card pulled in kindergarten from throwing rocks through the fence! and now she's smoking pot so see how that goes! LOL