layout

8/02/2007

Sick and Tired


In case you're wondering why I'm such a slacker -- it is mainly because Nate is sick again. I've never met a kid who gets as sick as often as this guy. I think he somehow gets the germs Ellie brings home from school because he gets sick as soon as she starts school and it never lets up until summer. The thing is, Ellie never gets sick. Anyway, so he has been waking up at 5 every morning hacking away and then he sleeps 5 minutes here and there on the floor, so he doesn't really take a nap either. It's kicking my butt. Plus we have all this ridiculous Kindergarten homework. It is so time consuming! And guess what -- my daughter has known her shapes for about 4 years now. We do not need to spend an hour every night searching through magazines for shapes to cut and paste. First it was circles, then squares, followed by triangles. . . I'm getting nervous for what tonight will be. OK, vent over.

I bought Nate his first wodden Thomas train. I can't believe I spent that much money on a toy that fits in my hand. He loves it, though. He sleeps with it, eats with it, takes it in the car. . .

Ellie is learning so much. On the way home she can't think of anything she's learned, but all night she just pops in with random stuff. She was writing her name on her homework and she told me, "The letters have to touch the base line or else they'll float away. And if they go too far down, they sink. Except guess what, mom, part of the G gets to sink!" And then she laughs so stinking cute. Or we'll be at dinner and suddenly she pop out a phonogram. Or we'll be reading a book and she'll tell me who the "characters" are, what the "setting" is, and that the author's purpose was to "entertain" us. I'm so glad she is learning so much and loving school. I'm also glad she loves to read so much. That's my favorite part of her homework. Nothing's better tha reading a book all cuddled up on the couch.

Sadie is Sadie. Cute as a button and just along for the ride. And with that, I'm off to wake Ellie up for school!

9 comments:

The Tyler's said...

Wow, slow down there! Ellie is in kindergarten right?! You talk like she is in junior high! I watched the Lamb kids the other day after school and so I helped them all with their homework. I thought it was so fun. Wyatt and I had fun cutting up pictures out of magazines.
Sorry Nate is so sick! Poor guy.
I'm excited for you to read Twilight. It's really good!

Maddy said...

It wasn't so bad the 1st night, but by the 3rd night, going through the same magazines. . . looking for triangles with Nate whinning and Sadie getting into them ripping everything to shreds. . . it got tedious.

Casey said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy!! Homework in kindergarten...times sure have changed! I'm already nervous for Bailey to start school.

Lisa said...

have you not talked to kerry? do you know the madness that will slowly creep into your life with that train? i'm just sayin'

tell ellie that kindergarten rocks!

Ammon said...

My nephew LOVES Thomas--look out!
Also, Wesley is the same way... always sick and Carly is healthy as a horse. What's up with that?

Lisa Brown said...

That is insane that they are giving that much homework in Kindergarten!! From a teacher's perspective, and a mother's, it must be really annoying. I hope Nate feels better soon :).

Anonymous said...

Poor Maddy -- she's has three beautiful, smart kids who ooze personality! We're pretty proud of all them! Love Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Haha! I knew you chose the wrong school. Kindergarten is just the beiginning of the homework over there! ;) If you'd slummed it like us, you'd have monthly kindie homework instead of daily.

I hope Nate gets better. Poor kid. :(

laura said...

uh oh - the trains... an expensive road to go down... ;)

i love ellie's description of her writing. how cute is that?! :)