layout

3/29/2008

Friday Fun

Woo hoo! It's the weekend. We started our weekend off by depriving Sadie of sleep.

I woke her up early so we could get Ellie to school and then she missed half of her morning nap so we could make it to the park to be Visit Taught. Dustin was up in Scottsdale in case anyone is wondering why I couldn't let the poor baby stay home and sleep.

After playing at the park for awhile we ran to a few stores, including Micheal's where Nate found a wooden train kit for $1! It was worth every penny. After we got home and ate lunch, I opened it up for him and he spent the next HOUR painting it. I'm going back and buying every kind they have.

I had a lot of time to take pictures in that hour. Can you tell?

As soon as Nate was finished, we cleaned up and headed up to pick Ellie up from school. On the way home we had to run by Meredith's, and Molly was there sewing stuff and I needed a shirt mended. . . anyway, one thing lead to another and 3 hours later we had had a very productive afternoon. We had done some de-junking and rearranging at Meredith's and my kids had found the giant water cooler of candy for an afternoon snack. Of course this meant no afternoon nap. But we had fun and isn't that all that matters?

By the time we got home, we had about 15 minutes to throw on our old clothes and get ready to go quading.
Our friends were sweet enough to invite us out to the base of Four Peaks for the evening. We cooked dinner over a fire, made smores and rode the quads. We had so much fun. Nate loves that sort of thing so he was on a high all night. I only went out once because I am a wuss and I had much more fun staying with the babies around the camp fire, but when I did the kids were so stinking cute. At the top of the peak Dustin would stop and turn the lights off and you could see the stars forever.





Around 9:3o we decided it was time to start packing up. I couldn't believe Sadie was still awake and not crying. She's like the energizer bunny. As we headed home Nate kept complaining that his hand hurt. Every five seconds there would be a whimper. I think while he and Jackson were running around "adventuring" he must have touched a cactus? So finally at one point I told him to just suck his thumb. Of course there was more whining about his thumb hurting and about 15 minutes later he calls out, "My thumb tastes good now." So I guess he finally got all the dirt sucked off.

Ellie was super tired. As we got in the car she announced, "I'm tired. I'm as tired as a Grandma. I'm retired." When I asked her if she knew what retired meant she explained, "Yes. It means you are very very tired. Like a Grandma who is old and has chased after her grandchildren all day."

I thought all the kids would sleep in since we didn't get home until close to 11, but of course only Ellie slept in past 7:3o. And now they need baths because they are FILTHY and I didn't want to even attempt it last night.

14 comments:

Ammon said...

I miss Michaels. Great find!

Kaelene said...

Okay, how cute is Ellie? I LOVE that definition of "retired"! I have to admit that I have felt THAT tired before! LOL
I love all of your fun photos! Maybe next time we scrap, you'll be able to come and scrap those cute photos, or show us what you have already done with those!
Ask Beth what the word of the night was! HEE HEE
We DID miss you, but I'm glad you had a good family bonding time!

Lara Neves said...

Ellie is cracking me up. I think I am retired, too.

Molly said...

Sounds like a fun Friday! I'm glad you guys stayed as long as you did at Meredith's, it was a alwasy exciting to see what new candy Sadie had found! I thought you were going scrapbooking, but I think riding quads sounds so much more fun anyway!

Lorie said...

Ellie is so funny! And reading everything you did makes me retired!

Kat said...

Crazy weekend, and with 3 kids too! You are amazing.
That train looks like it was a lot of fun to paint, lucky Nate!
Scott had fun holding Sadie today! He thinks he's a pro :) Make sure you enlist his services when she is grouchy and wiggly next time ok :)

Amy F. said...

How fun! I'm so glad I'm your friend. You do so many fun things! I can't wait to start doing stuff with you guys! ;)
Your Easter picture is adorable! I love easter time so much!

Holly said...

Your kids are hilarious! I'll have to go look at Michael's for that train! A whole HOUR!? Man, what I would give!!!

Lisa said...

ok--ellie is a keeper. she is too cute and funny. but i need to ask some questions here, namely--where are the helmets??? and you actually went to a place where there is dirt all over on purpose? did you have hand sanitizer with you? ha ha

Meredith said...

You make Friday at my house seem so tame! You forgot the detail about Sadie taking off her diaper and walking around my destroyed house with a poo wedged in her bum crack!

Maddy said...

Lisa -- Uh HELLO! You cannot wear helmets in a picture! Don't worry, there were helmets.

Mer -- thanks for reminding me about that AWESOME detail. I had almost gotten over my embarrassment. I'll have to go back and add it in.

Chelsea said...

I love your kids. From the retired comments to the poop wedge! LOVE IT!! I need to go to Michael's I think! A whole hour?!? Nice moves!!

Ann said...

Looks like such a fun weekend! I love the train thing...I've got to go check it out and find one for my train obsessed son (Brady)!

Lisa Brown said...

Still laughing about the "retired" comment :). And so jealous of your fun night. I want to roast marshmellows.