layout

6/10/2008

Ode to Karen

Some of you may know her, but for those of you who don't -- I have a crazy friend named Karen. Not as crazy as me, but enough to be a lot of fun. A few months back, I find out Karen has been reading my blog, and other mutual friends' blogs, without saying a word to us. In fact, she purposely never mentioned anything she read on our blogs because she didn't want anyone to know she reads them. On top of that we find out that she has he own blog and won't tell anyone the address. "It's only for out of town friends and families" -- and Shauna Moore, I guess. Let's just say her secret blog did not last long and now not only have we all linked her, she even comments sometimes.

One thing she hates the most in the entire blog world is odes to friends. So in honor of her birthday -- I can't tell you how old she is, she swore me to secrecy -- here are five great things about her.
1. She is the only person I know who talks more than me
2. She's older than me :D
3. I spent the whole afternoon with her and laughed the whole time
4. She never pretends to be someone she's not -- no pretenses, and she's just so funny and real
5. You can totally count on her to be a friend
and yes, she has a piece of tape with her name on her shirt.

Today we had her over for an extravagant birthday lunch -- turkey sandwiches for us and chicken nuggets for the kids, and to let the kids play. Chloe and Ellie totally entertained us all afternoon by writing plays and acting them out for us. Here's a sampling -- in case anyone wants to print it out and do their own skit with it.

Chloe:
My name is Stacey and my real name is Becca
Ellie:
My name is Alysa and my real name is Malissa
Chloe:
I like your pretty close.
Ellie:
I like you fancy scarf.
Chloe:
I like your hair too.
Ellie:
I like your pink hair. You are so nice.
Chloe:
You are nice too.
Ellie:
Do you like pockadots?
Chloe:
Yes, I do.
Chloe:
Thank you
Ellie:
for coming to
Chloe:
the
Ellie:
show.

Except when Ellie read her part she said, "I like your straight hair." She explained afterwards that since Chloe took off the pink wig, she had to make something up instead of pink hair. I was pretty impressed with her improvising!

Another play -- see me for copyright
Ellie:
We are sisters and we are twins.
Chloe:
We like echuther. We whar difrent clothing too.
Ellie:
You are my favrit sister.
Chloe:
You are fun to play with.

Then there was a fashion show. I think Chloe is the only kid I know who can make Ellie look short!Nate will be auditioning for Nashville StarFairy Princess meets Hawaiian Tropics modelMadonna, that stinking ballerina costume that Nate is obsessed with, and Laura Ingalls Wilder

Sadie was here too -- she was either napping or following the kids around trying to do the exact same thing they were doing and stealing their shoes.

18 comments:

Janel said...

That looks like SO much fun! Just wait until they start video taping their plays and made-up dances like we did in Jr High. Fun times. :D

Hi Karen!!!

:D

Chelsea said...

Karen is the funniest girl! Happy birthday Karen! Go Gemini's!! Your ode was hilarious. I love that Karen is an open blogger now.
The girls plays are great. My favorite was Nate's dressups though. Really...when are you coming down here for a lesson on boy-hood??

Lisa Brown said...

You are awesome! That is the funniest story, and she sounds like a great friend. I have a feeling that Lily will be writing her own plays and stories a lot more when she learns to write better. How fun!

barterboutique said...

Hahaha! So is the *34* on her cake a phony number or is this your way of not "saying" how old she is--very clever! The girls plays were amazing and I just loved the fashion show--fierce!

Now, I'm off to go look at Karen's blog! Chao!

Maddy said...

Lynette- 34 is her real age. I just like to tease her because she thinks she is just so old.

AZ Hey-mon said...

Hey Janel, and yes I feel old but not because of the number, because I have a 12 year old getting ready to start jr. high who has to get shoes from the men's dept. And futhermore, it isn't the ode to friends that I think are kooky it is the ode to husbands and father in laws and fathers that most likely don't read the fluffy stuff written about them. Was that long enough to show that yes I do talk as much as Maddy. Never a dull moment when we are around.I guess my code name is no longer necessary

AZ Hey-mon said...

Oh yes, how can I forget to say thanks for the fun afternoon and delicous cupcakes! We had a great time!

Ann said...

Looks like a fun 34th b-day party! Maddy, you are so thoughtful!

Amy F. said...

What cute kiddos! So creative. Ellie sounds like she'll be a writer someday. Sounds like you guys have had a fun past few weeks! I'm glad you're better, and I'm glad you can now enjoy your summer!

Holly said...

How funny! Maybe when you're here Ellie can teach Bria how to be more outgoing. She's so shy and would never make up a play! I love that they entertained you all night...costumes and all! And...what a sneaky little friend you have. I bet you were a little upset at the whole "secret blog" thing:) Glad you all linked her and blew her cover:P

Rickie said...

Your a hoot. There are no words to describe how much I love reading your blog. I hope to see a tribute to myself some day. J/K.

Arlene said...

Imagine my shock/surprise at seeing my niece Karen on here! It's a small world, eh, Karen, who's 34!?!?!

Laurel and Trev said...

LOL...I love it. Especially the fashion show with Madonna, a ballerina and Laura Ingels Wilder...too funny!! And Sadie's smile is absolutely adorable!

Kathleen said...

how on earth does this already have 13 comments? love ya!

Lisa said...

i love the plays kids put on. so fun and stinkin' cute!

Kathleen said...

hi! buy this and tell me if you like it: http://www.shadeclothing.com/Product/Womens/Modest/Fashion_Tops/Modal_V-Neck

Chelsea said...

Speaking of shirts....cutest shirt Kathleen.
And Cody and I decided my shirt should say '06 too since that was my near death year too. And if my luck keeps up, it should say something about "let's do it again in '10"

ps...shoot me if that is what the plan for my life is!!

Meredith said...

I can see what you mean about Chloe! Imagine if Lindsay was in that line-up too...talk about looking like shortie!!

Thanks for the head's up about Karen's blog!!