layout

10/16/2008

School Days!

Oh yeah, school is back in session. I love the routine and structure of the kids being in school, but I hate all the work. I know all school moms know what I mean. Is it better to get to sleep in, have no homework and never pack a lunch, but have to come up with something to do every day? Or to have those few hours of chaos first thing in the morning and afternoon just to have sanity during the day?

Monday night Ellie had a sleep over to get her ready to go back to school! I made the mistake of telling them they could play with make up while I ran and took a quick nap in the living room. Not only did I not get a nap due to the giggles and shrieks, but my bathroom is now full of glitter that I cannot get vacuumed up. You know what did keep them entertained for hours -- making "lemonade." They picked all the limes off our 3 trees and squeezed all the juice out. Then they added some splenda. YUMMY! After a few sips, they decided it was not good enough to sell. Drat! They were obviously going to be rich! I think I got off easy on that one since I was suppose to be the taste tester.

We did make it to bed before 11 pm. Those girls are so cute and sweet together.

Nate is back at Miss Becky's and learning about the letter A. He makes a super cute ant. But an ever super cuter Ballerina Vampire!

Sadie came with me my girlfriend's to can her peaches today. While we were talking she found the last 7 or 8 peaches in the box and ate a bite out of every.single.one.of.them. There are boogery pictures of the event, but I am not in possesion of them.

Speaking of peaches -- I used my first 2 jars yesterday. I made a dump cake since our neighbor Casey and her kids were coming over. Here's how you make it: Dump 2 quarts of peaches in the bottom of a greased cake pan. Then dump 2 boxes of yellow cake mix in a bowl with 2 sticks of melted butter. Mix and then crumble the mix on top of your peaches. Top with brown sugar and bake at 35o for 45 minutes. Super super easy! You know it has to be easy if I was willing to make it.

Also I want to give a shout out to the girls who have been kicking my butt lately! Some friends and I have been running in the mornings three times a week -- gearing up for Janel's challenge?? We're up to 4 miles and I swear I would never run that far by myself and enjoy it, but for some reason it is so much easier in a group. So if you see me napping, now you know why. Thanks girls!!! I really need this.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Love the ballerina vampire! Cracks me up!!!! Getting back in the swing of school is bittersweet. Lindsay said she had the best time during fall break. I miss her! Make up and 6-7 year olds is a very bad combination!

Lara Neves said...

I have the same love/hate relationship with school. I hate getting up early and getting them off, but once they're gone, I appreciate it all. :)

Lisa said...

ok--one addition to your dump cake to make it heaven. pour a can of mountain dew all over the top. i'm so not kidding.

and i have one more thing to say--GO OBAMA!!!!!!!

Lisa Brown said...

I understand, as I am already looking forward to her breaks when we can be free of it all. How fun that Ellie has such cute friends. Oh, and my friend gave me he best limeaide recipe, if you want a good use for all those limes. It is so yummy!

Kathleen said...

ballerina vampire sounds like some sort of twisted twilight spinoff.

even though you ditched my calls yesterday i still love you. i feel the need to retaliate with phone ditching today so do not be surprised. i miss you, though!!

ellie is really really adorable. i think you should have coached them a little so they could get their small business off the road. i love her missing tooth. can she get a photo shoot one day just to show off the tooth?

sadie took a bite out of every peach? bhahahaha! did you still can them?

why did you make something with your peaches? isn't it the point to like save them like food storage them? am i a lame brain for not getting this?

k, love you, k, bye.

Kaelene said...

yummy dump cake . . . with peaches! Ooh, I soooooooo want some now!
Cute photos, as usual!

Rickie said...

Hey, Sadie is a hoot. And, by the way, you didn't tell me it was the bottled peaches you used in your cobbler, or else I would have TOTALLY tried it! I will have to give that recipe a try, it sounds so much better than the not-sweet-enough peach cobbler I made last week and took to my cousin's house for dinner.

Chelsea said...

Seriously, when is boytrip 2009 planned for??!!

Rogers said...

Go girl! Running 4 miles, sleep overs, making limeaid and attempting to sell, and canning peaches??? Move over Martha Stewart you have finally met your match!