layout

4/26/2007

Settle a debate

So I was cleaning out Ellie's closet yesterday and I put two pairs of jeans in the throw away pile. Each pair has a little hole in the left knee. I asked Dustin to throw them in the trash on his way out.

Dustin then starts questioning why we're throwing them out, since they're perfectly good pants.

(when reading the following, raise your voice louder and louder in exasperation as the conversation progresses)

Me: They have holes in the knees and by the time it's cold enough for Ellie to wear them again, she'll be 5 inches taller.

Dustin: I know that, but they're good jeans.

Me: They have HOLES in the knees.

Dustin: People pay good money to have jeans with holes in them. No one would even know they weren't purposely put there.

Me: People do not want our trash!

Dustin: Have you seen the children in Africa? They could take the jeans and turn them into cut offs.

Me: No one is going to accept jeans with holes in them!

Dustin: So you want to put them in a land fill to rot?

Me: I'm putting this on the blog!


Soooo, help a girl out! Please tell my husband, that in fact, no one wants our hole-y jeans and then help me think of something to do with them, so Dustin doesn't have to put them in a landfill (can you tell we try to be environmentally conscience?)

14 comments:

Michelle said...

My white trash kids would be WEARING those jeans, so I can't settle anything ;)

Michelle said...

oh wait, yes I can. My kids would wear them until they were BIG holes, like complete tears around the leg, THEN I would throw them out.

Maddy said...

WOW! You're fast! So I'll just plan on bringing the jeans over to your house for Sarah and Kate to wear ;)

Unknown said...

I'm with Dustin (sorry). I'd donate them, cause someone will find a use for them.

You call yourself a liberal? I thought all of you were supposed to be saving the environment! ;)

Anonymous said...

As you will not be surprised to hear -- I'm with Dustin on this one! If you think the hole doesn't look like it was put there on purpose, I'm sure someone else who would love to have the jeans will figure out a way to make it look as if it were meant to be! Love ya, Kiddo! Mom

Anonymous said...

Save the jeans! Save the planet! Save Dustin! Hee hee!

Ammon said...

I side with Dustin, too! Sorry. I say donate them and get a receipt--then you can write it off on your taxes next year!

Unknown said...

You're not pouting, are you? :-P

swampbaby said...

I'd have to vote for donating them if they aren't huge ratty holes. My boys put holes in the knees of their jeans about every month. I keep one pair for "camping" jeans and then either donate or toss the others depending on how trashed they are.

Lisa Brown said...

As much as he may be right that some kid might like holey jeans, the last time I donated clothes to Salvation Army, they would not accept anything with holes in them - so you win :).

Anonymous said...

flip a coin!

love, lola

Janel said...

You can't give then to DI , but you can put them in the clothing donation thingys that are in the parking lots, then those guys can decide.

You sorta win because of the "she'll outgrow them anyway" argument, but my white trash kids wear holey stuff too. Of course, they are boys and thats different. I call stalemate.

P.S. your friends are funny. I snorted my water! heee hee

Kerry said...

Goodwill and DI won't take them with holes, and they'll end up in the dump anyway.

Do you know another little girl who could use them as cutoffs for the summer?

Lisa said...

cut them up and make a cute jean quilt--that's what any good mormon liberal would do!!!