layout

4/07/2007

Ugh


For some reason, Ellie's birthday party always turns into this soul crushing, agonizing decision for me. I know, there are more important things to worry about, but it really bothers me for some reason. Every year we start off with a really small guest list and then some how it balloons into dozens of kids. Honestly, I would love to have all the kids over, but every year, the list gets bigger and bigger. Plus, this year I feel like Nate should get to have the huge-o party. I mean, the poor boy hasn't even gotten a wrapped birthday present from me -- ever. It's time to make up for that!

So I decided that we would have a girls only party this year. Easy, that scratched 5 kids off the list right there. Then I tell Ellie to name her 5 best friends. She then rattles of 12 girls. How do you narrow down the list? Because honestly, I don't want to have 13 five year olds running around my house screeching and doing that girlie pouty thing they all do when they gather en masse and the pairing off begins.

Do I have to invite all the girls who invited Ellie to their birthday party? Do I have to invite the daughters of some of my closest friends even if they're a year younger than Ellie? What about girls from Church whose mothers will think I hate them if they find out?

Now in all honesty, do I think anyone other myself cares about this crap? No, so why do I sit and worry about this? It's so DUMB! So tell me it will be OK if I pick the guest list. And if the guest list is only 6 girls. And none of them our from our Ward. Tell me 13 girls would not make a fun party. Tell me maybe once upon a time, you worried about stupid things like this too.

9 comments:

swampbaby said...

Just pick the ones she plays with on a regular basis and call it good. The ones she asks to have over or the ones who invite her over regularly. And pull the "you're turning 5 so that's how many we're inviting" rule. Next year it can be 6. The ones who don't get invited won't even know.

P.S. I can't believe you made those pretty cards. You've already put way too much time into it! :-)

Kerry said...

This is why Megan hasn't had an official birthday party yet. We have so far been able to get away with family only, and doing something fun together. (Like riding last year.)

Gads. No. I worry about the exact same thing. I don't think you are abnormal for worrying about it. Or we could just both be crazy. ;)

Maddy - I swear you are the best card maker ever. Those are ADORABLE.

Lisa said...

everything you just stated above is why i always tell my girls i will give them $150 to have NO party. no takers yet--drats!

Dustin said...

Good idea T!

Kerry -- made completely from scraps. WOO HOO!

Lisa -- no doubt! $150 is cheap compared to what you end up spending on a party for just a handful of girls. The party *is* her present :) I actually enjoy doing the party, it's just narrowing the guest list that gives me angst.

Michelle said...

Dude, chill. It WILL be okay :)

It is a standard rule, I'm told, to have the number of children for the age of the child. Heck, I've even INCLUDED the birthday child in that count! hahaha

No, you don't need to invite your friend's children. You don't NEED to invite anyone LOL Stick with kids SHE plays with, consistantly.

Unless, of course, you are referring to Sarah. She MUST be invited. She'll be (and her mother will be) CRUSHED if we don't get to go to another birthday party. Because we all know how much *IIIIIII* love kid's parties! (do I need to say J/K here????)

m

laura said...

ah - don't you LOVE children's birthday parties? ugh.

i LOVE the cards! :)

happy easter, maddy!

Anonymous said...

madelyn elizabeth rogers-
it is not YOUR party!! it is ellie's party, SHE can have as many people as SHE wants! 13 girls would make a FUN party for ELLIE!!

love, lola

Ammon said...

We alternate between friend parties and family parties every year. But, inevitably, last year when it was a family only party, I think some people from our ward got their feelings hurt! What can you do...you can't please everybody.
By the way, are we invited? :) J/K

Lisa Brown said...

Those invitations are gorgeous! I understand exactly what you mean though, and Lily is only going to be 4. Craziness!